Thread: safari top question

Default safari top question

I rescued a 109 recently, the safari top (pic attached) has sills over the top of the oval windows, none of my other 109's have this.

Is the sill something Land Rover had on certain models, or later versions? or is it something a previous owner had installed?

Any help / insight would be most appreciated.

Regards,
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have those sills/gutters on my '63 88" station wagon. They are original equipment; on a regular top they might be helpful, they're sort of vestigial under my sun sheet.

My '73 109's tropical top didn't have those gutters above the alpine windows. Perhaps it was an early variant?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    My '73 109's tropical top didn't have those gutters above the alpine windows. Perhaps it was an early variant?
    My '65 top has them so perhaps you're right and they did away with them later on.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Perhaps in true rover fashion, Rover expected the alpine windows to leak so they added the gutter to divert the rainwater. Oddly, this is the only part of my rover that DIDN'T leak on mine, which probably explains the absence of the gutters on later Rovers.

Maybe they should have put some extra gutters above the doortops, along the "a" pillars, at the upper and lower windshield area, in the engine bay along the entire length of the bulkhead from top to bottom, around the transmission hump and around all the rubber shifter boots.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Every rover should come encased in one of those big plastic balls. Drive around and just drain the oil out of the ball once in a while.....
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Every rover should come encased in one of those big plastic balls. Drive around and just drain the oil out of the ball once in a while.....
    +one