Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Separating Tansfer Case from the Transmission

OK, I'm being high maintenance about this thing. So I'm to the point where I have to pull the shaft from the intermediate gear. I've removed the little bolt and plate that hold it in, but all I have is a simple pitman arm puller. I'm not having luck using a lever and fulcrum to remove the shaft, so can someone tell me what sprocket puller I should get for this?

Make sure the vehicle is chocked and everything is in neutral and there's no force on the gears. That shaft will just fulcrum right out. There's nothing holding it in there really (except the external keeper that you presumably removed already).

Be prepared to catch the gear and bearings that will fall out with the shaft removed.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

The transfercase/transmission are out of the vehicle and on the floor. The gears move freely.

I tried to fulcrum it out using a pry bar and the handle from my pump jack, but it is just not budging. (that keeper tab is off). I still haven't removed the output shaft yet, but maybe I'll start on that to lessen the frustration.

Give the end of the intermediate shaft a couple swift raps with a soft hammer (brass) then try to pry it out again. You can also try prying it and tapping the end with a hammer at the same time. Once it frees up it should slide right out. Along with catching the bearings and gears, there will be thrust washers that come out with them. Make note of what end each set comes from and reassemble them in the same place.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Closing this thread:

Found the biggest pry bar I could get at a Home Depot, had someone brace the transfer case to stop it from moving, then used the hooked side of the pry bar to put pressure on one side, and then on the other. popped free and slide out by hand after I put everything into it. Wow.

At least it wasn't leaking at the joint.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).