Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Importation Rules Changed ?????

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    Should be ok but customs has been doing some odd **** lately so you neve know
    Not sure if this is vote of confidence or not. Well I will soon find out. I have the evidence to prove it is 25 years of age. Photographic and Certificate of Manufacture from Land Rover including UK V5C forms (all original). So I guess if a CBP agent wants to get chippy with me I will slap him silly with a lawsuit. That I can do rather easy and with the documentation I have I will get the car released to me eventually.

Frankly I am sick of the "Big Brother" BS we have to put up with. We have a govt. that can't balance a checkbook and obviously they purport to know what is best for all of us. Not wanting to get on a rant here but I really am sick of what we have allowed our Government to become - bloated, ineffective, and incompetent - led by professional politicians - so ends the rant.

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

Quote Originally Posted by nate6472 View Post
    I have imported 5 without an issue. Just spoke with a broker (never used one before) and all this comes from ports letting engine converts in when that is a strict no no. Customs is upset with land rovers because DOT is making them spend more time checking them out. They are short staffed and sometimes easier to just seize. Does anyone heave UK land rover number so I can call to verify my VIN and engine numbers? Thanks
    My Certificate which is the Confirmation of Date of Manufacture Came from the following (on Land Rover Letterhead by the way)

Land Rover
    Abbey Road, Whitley
    Coventry CV3 4LF, UK
    T +44 (0)870 5000 500
    F +44 (0)1926 691 938

The problem I believe you may have is that they have to physically inspect the vehicle. Not sure but that is about as much as I can give you from my end.

Good luck.

Good luck beating CBP in a legal battle.......
    GMR Imports
    802-655-4874
    802-324-3370
    gmr4x4.com

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    Good luck beating CBP in a legal battle.......
    Thanks - as an attorney I have a few tricks up my sleeve. The CBP and the US government is not immune in the court system especially when they are wrong. Not saying it is going to come to that eventuality as I am confident of the vehicle's authenticity (although I have not seen it other than photos) but the reputation of the outfit I purchased from does have merit and is without blemish.

Just received word the only Hold right now is the standard X-Ray of the container. Will find out tomorrow about an examination. If that happens, I am still not worried as the paperwork is in their hands. It is just frustrating that what I am doing is above board and legal by the letter of the law (and spirit) yet the immense resources and manpower being used to catch those who do not is mind numbing.

To be completely honest the importation rules as set forth by the DOT and the EPA are draconian and outdated. They are not intended for any other purpose than to protect the business marketplace. Look into the history of the implementation of those regulations. You will be somewhat surprised at what you find.

I import them for a living I know
    GMR Imports
    802-655-4874
    802-324-3370
    gmr4x4.com

The red truck looks awesome! I hope it has original engine and #'s match. . Would hate to see a beauty like this lost to the BS..
    Good luck with your import!!!!!

keep us in the loop. .
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

The broker and CBP official stressed original condition although this is not mentioned on the CBP website for guidelines. New paint, off road tires, lights, tint, etc are not "original" I think too much authority is given the import officials. BTW, I hired a broker for the first time and she shared the story about the siezure - definately too many issue plus it had a 300tdi

Nate B
    88 D90 RHD, V8 Present
    84 Defender 110 3 Door RHD Petrol in 2012
    80 Merc 230GE Petrol in 2011
    78 SIII 109" RHD Petrol in 2011
    82 SIII 88" RHD Petrol in 2010
    82 SIII 88" RHD Diesel in 2009
    92 Range Rover - In the 90's
    cuis2000@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    The red truck looks awesome! I hope it has original engine and #'s match. . Would hate to see a beauty like this lost to the BS..
    Good luck with your import!!!!!

keep us in the loop. .

Thanks - she is and I have seen the VIN's and they all match - she is original with exception to interior work and the paint. Heck even the bonnet is original. Only minor body work done - repair only no replacement. Engine was tuned etc. but nothing altered. I wanted AC put in as I live in Dallas, Texas and yes it does get a bit warm here in the summer. However that would have been an alteration and that is why the AC kit is in a box in the back of the car.

The way I see it I have enough documentation, pictures and everything verifying authenticity that I could win a battle if I have one. As such I can allege:

Unlawful seizure of Property
    Violation of Due process statutes (if I am not allowed to intervene with my documentation)

They are really hot on the trail of Land Rover Defenders as of 04/15/2013 press releases. But hey, lets just ignore the real crooks getting stuff through our borders.

Quote Originally Posted by nate6472 View Post
    The broker and CBP official stressed original condition although this is not mentioned on the CBP website for guidelines. New paint, off road tires, lights, tint, etc are not "original" I think too much authority is given the import officials. BTW, I hired a broker for the first time and she shared the story about the siezure - definately too many issue plus it had a 300tdi
    US Customs has defined "original unmodified condition" as a vehicle that has not been significantly altered from its original key structural or mechanical configuration. This means a vehicle can be sympathetically restored, repaired or reconditioned but that it cannot be fundamentally altered. You cannot import a vehicle that has a contemporary engine (unless that engine is formally approved by the EPA); a replacement chassis; an automatic transmission conversion, a modernized drive or suspension system, or that has been converted from right hand drive to left hand drive.

The problem is the term "sypathetic" is completely arbitrary.

You may well have trouble with your MUD Uk center dash pod and new seats, carpeting etc as those are viewed as modifications/modernization, not restoration. The way seizures work is there is no back and forth with the inspecting officer. They are very cloak and dagger and usually refuse to communicate,so there will be no oportunity to offer your documentetion until after they decide to deny entry. I would be extremely suprised if your container is not selected for an intensive exam as all inbound containers with Land Rover on the manifest are being advance targeted prior to arrival.
    Ping me @ doug@dividingcreekimports.com if you get jammed up.

They have lightened up a bit. I have had 5 trucks clear in as many days in 5 different ports.
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door