Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct wheel color for series???

On the Series 2 forum, they say that the correct color is Dark Bronze Green if your truck is that color, but limestone for all other body colors.

Just a warning on powder coating - I had my wheels media-blasted and powder coated about a year ago and rust is coming through already. Not sure if it was poor workmanship (I had them done at a very reputable shop in CT) but I have heard other stories about powder coating not lasting, especially on things like wheels that get some abuse. I wish I had used a good urethane enamel or something like Imron paint.
    1968 Series IIA
    1962 Jaguar Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kiloengineer View Post
    .....I wish I had used a good urethane enamel or something like Imron paint.
    I used DuPont Centari enamel on my wheels and have had no issues of any kind after 5+ years.

Question: With powder coated rims, how do you touch up the inevitable chips and dings? I know zilch about powder coating, as you can tell.

Ted

The correct color is year dependent I think. Up to a certain year they were painted to match the body. Have no idea what the cur-off is though...

just my 2c, but Back in Britain when these great vehicles were put together, there was not any form of quality control as we would recognise today. Strikes at car plants were almost a weekly occurrence, and, as my Dad put it " the colours varied by whoever was in the paint shop".

so, as I see it, although there was a "correct" colour, it wasn't necessarily the same shade as a truck built the next week. My Dad was "working" for British Leyland from '69 to '75.

paint the wheels any shade you think would look best IMHO.

just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Are you asking what color your wheels should be for your truck and year? Some had limestone wheels others had body colored wheels.
    Yes, Mine is a 1965 in marine blue.

The majority is limestone, to match the top.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Quote Originally Posted by crankin View Post
    The majority is limestone, to match the top.
    Thank you

My Marine blue '59 109 Regular has Limestone wheels.