Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missing/Power Loss!

Vacuum leak? You said the vac was down. See if there is a bad connection or loose fitting around the carb. I'd also be sure the dizzy is locked down, but it probably isn't timing.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Vacuum leak? You said the vac was down. See if there is a bad connection or loose fitting around the carb. I'd also be sure the dizzy is locked down, but it probably isn't timing.
    Check for splits or cracks in the vac hose, too.

I just went through a similar 5-day ordeal with loss of power in a similar system (88, 2.25, gas, pertronix, Rochester 1bbl) under load (uphill), and after eliminating EVERYTHING once (new wires (did observe some arcing with old wires), new plugs, new coil, timing checked, valves set, compression check, vacuum checks (did fix a vacuum leak, as well), NEW FUEL PUMP (electric) all new fuel lines, pickup tube checked, tank vent checked) it turned out that my brand new out-of-the-box fuel pump was not pushing enough volume. The first clue that I FINALLY clued into was that when it would sputter and die, the filter (clear, up top, easily visible) was EMPTY of fuel. A 42GPH fuel pump will FILL a filter! So problem solved, eventually.

So I would add fuel pressure/volume to the list. Though I'd not bother with a gauge, if it were me, I'd just unhook the line from the carb and watch it (probably point it right at the top of the carb!). If plenty of fuel seems to be flowing you're probably good. If it seems weak it's probably starving (thirsting?).

Big upside, my daily driver got a helluva tuneup. Man, does she purrrrrrrr!

Added, thanks!