Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    I envision Jason as more of a Frank Sinatra kind of guy!
    Yah, I love some good Frank when everything is running well, or some Gypsie Kings. I do need some Rage Against the Machine playing when I have to remove frame bushings though.

Hate to reply twice in a row but...
    About that fence problem, and all this rover talk.

Name:  photo (13).jpg
Views: 216
Size:  177.2 KB

Problem solved!

Ha, I tried having a sound system in the D90 I once drove. Problem was after 50 miles per hour just could not hear it, gave up and wore ear phones instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Ha, I tried having a sound system in the D90 I once drove. Problem was after 50 miles per hour just could not hear it, gave up and wore ear phones instead.
    Totally agree but I would be embarrased sharing ear phones with my friends at the camp ground!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    I thought headphones/earbuds while you drive were illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRover View Post
    I thought headphones/earbuds while you drive were illegal.
    You mean like blaring music at 130db so you can hear it over the din of a 2.5 Diesel (in some states)?

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    You mean like blaring music at 130db so you can hear it over the din of a 2.5 Diesel (in some states)?

I know how loud diesels can be and yes you do have to raise your voice to have a conversation in one, but honestly it is not ear shattering loud at highway speeds. Besides the only way you are going to get 130db out of my head unit is with dynamite. I just need to hear enough to carry the tune. Its a sanity thing, its either focus on the song or wonder endlessly what is making *THAT* new rattle? Is it the gear in back? Did a harness comes loose, and my god if that dipstick rotates to play percussion on my inner wing again I am going to cut that thing DOWN!

IDK why every effin thing that's "marine" only comes in white. Like what am I, Liberace or something? Anyway, I don't believe that with modern speakers with Poly cones and all, that there's any real difference between the marine version and the landlubber version other than color. Marine speakers are supposed to be installed such that the backs are not exposed to water.
    My personal preference are either the Infinity or JL Audio ones. If you go to the JL Audio website they sell obsolete, but still very high quality, items in the clearance section. You can get an amp for the door speakers for about two thirds price direct with warranty:
    http://www.jlaudio.com/m4500-marine-...plifiers-98096

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    IDK why every effin thing that's "marine" only comes in white.
    ...and more expensive on top of it.....

I suspect with marine grade speakers some other differences may be the materials used at the connections and they way they are sealed. Plus the box has a picture of a boat so that has to be worth an extra $5.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    IDK why every effin thing that's "marine" only comes in white. Like what am I, Liberace or something? Anyway, I don't believe that with modern speakers with Poly cones and all, that there's any real difference between the marine version and the landlubber version other than color. Marine speakers are supposed to be installed such that the backs are not exposed to water.
    My personal preference are either the Infinity or JL Audio ones. If you go to the JL Audio website they sell obsolete, but still very high quality, items in the clearance section. You can get an amp for the door speakers for about two thirds price direct with warranty:
    http://www.jlaudio.com/m4500-marine-...plifiers-98096
    The JL ones are silly expensive. If you poke back earlier into the thread I did find that there is an ingress rating for electronics and the ones I picked are IPX-5 which has this following rating:

Water projected by a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects (30kn/m2 is apx. 4.5psi)

That is pretty darn good for what I expect out of it. That and for 110$ there is a black faceplate option for free at no cost. The box arrived last week, but I have been busy with end of school year and an alternator that gave up the ghost. Having the unit in hand I am actually impressed at the quality of the manufacturing on it. They honestly look really well made. The wires to the center tweeter are fully sealed and rubberized, it looks like good stuff. I did take the time to shorten the dipstick handle, damn thing was making me crazy.

Jason
    Last edited by SalemRover; 06-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.