Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Search for "shallow mount" speakers. these will usually be 2" or under in depth.

If what you find doesn't suit your taste in audio fidelity, you could mount normal "deeper" speakers on the outside of the door card on top of some spacer rings.. Made of.. whatever. sanded sealed painted plywood perhaps.

Also, limiting your search to marine speakers probably isn't necessary unless you really think they'll get wet. Does water run through the inside of series doors in the rain?? I'm not sure.

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    Does water run through the inside of series doors in the rain??
    ~Steve
    Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

There is enough depth and width on the RN cards to accommodate many 6.5 marine speakers. I like to run with the door tops off during the summer, even in the rain. They will need to be rugged as I tried just getting speakers with a polypropylene cone and what I found is that the coil/magnet would eventually get condensation and it would die. I did alot of digging earlier and on boating forums the JL speakers were the the highest rated, however they are 250+ a pair which is way more than I want to spend. The Sony's linked arent a bad choice and the grille is not all "ghetto" for lack of a better word. The choice can get a little muddled when you take your head unit and/or amp into account. Here is a link to a boating thread with a less than pleasant discussion but filled with decent information.
    http://forums.iboats.com/electrical-...-166395-2.html

~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood today but without any real info how does this answer his question?
    Well.............if you looked at the specs for the speaker you would see that the speaker in question is 3 1/2 inches deep, which is too deep for the landrover door with a flush door card. Pretty simple EH! But not knowing what the door card the OP has is like as I've never seen one, it might protrude out into the cab 2 inches from the door which would of course be silly to reduce the interior size that much but who knows. I have installed more than my fair share of door speakers along the way and know that if the speaker touches the door interior it will rattle. Also it's not the back side of the speaker other than the voice coil to be concerned about in a landrover, it's the front side from hosing down the interior or rain at an angle. I have waterproofed the front side of speakers before using a water proofing spray, but if you are wading even a little the moisture will eventually get the cones and the voice coils, just be prepared to replace them occasionally.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

I believe I saw these on his truck....Like he said....
    http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...IES-III&key=it

And as you can see they have a speaker.

Edit: I believe the 3 1/2" dimension you're looking at is the packaging thickness size. I think the speaker depth is 2 1/8".
    Some specs here.
    http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/e...specifications
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    I believe I saw these on his truck....Like he said....
    http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...IES-III&key=it

And as you can see they have a speaker.

Edit: I believe the 3 1/2" dimension you're looking at is the packaging thickness size. I think the speaker depth is 2 1/8".
    Some specs here.
    http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/e...specifications
    Those are nice door cards...if you like that sort of a thing, you might as well nail a flush mount speaker on there. I can clearly see I'm on the wrong site.. thanks all and goodbye.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by busboy View Post
    Those are nice door cards...if you like that sort of a thing, you might as well nail a flush mount speaker on there. I can clearly see I'm on the wrong site.. thanks all and goodbye.
    Dude... relax. It was a simple oversight on your part, and someone else called you out on it. He didnt attack you personally. No harm no foul. We arent counting rivets here. And yah.. I am into that sort of a thing. My rig has been off the road for a year or so and before that it was my daily driver. So creature comforts are nice to me, myself and my wifes approval of said purchases. I have spent the day failing at putting up a fence and am commiserating with a barley pop. I reccomend a Tucher Heffeweizen, rolled first to get the bottom bits and poured aggressively into a nice glass.

Cheers,

Jason

p.s. NO VODKA!

On a hot day that is a great recommendation for sure!!
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Ok so I made a decision on what to buy. After much digging I picked up a pair of Fusion MS-FR6021(link below). In my digging I found out that there is an ingress protection rating. The IPX-5 designation for these speakers should guarantee a trouble free life of service. Searching on this spec and speakers narrowed the choices down significantly. The nice thing I found about these is that there are a variety of faceplates, with one in black. Sony did have the next reasonable price for an IPx5 speaker, but that model in particular did not have a black option, and if I did spray the cover plate the underlying cone was white which is verboten! I managed to find a new in box set of the fusions for 110$ with shipping which is 40$ more than the sonys. I drilled a hole in the RN card in the center and measured the depth at 3.2 inches on a series door. If you had a more modern defender door frame that depth would increase slightly.

Ingress Protection Rating
    http://www.chsmith.com.au/Wiki/IP-Rating.html

Fusion 6" speakers
    http://www.fusionelectronics.com/mar...kers/ms-fr6021

3.2" eh? I didn't look at the depth of the fusions but leave some space for the cones to jump around as you are blaring the techno!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

I envision Jason as more of a Frank Sinatra kind of guy!