Thread: Punctured gearbox ???

Default Punctured gearbox ???

I have a 73 Series 3, 88 . I was replacing the the shift lever and noticed this puncture in the top of the housing. I am new to all of this but I think it is the main gearbox. I would love some suggestions on options to repair it. Thanks so much!
    Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  76.9 KB

That is the breather for the main box. Don't plug it or it will leak (even more than it does already)

I looks like it's an owner add on though. The little hole in the lower right of that metal disc is the original, inadequate attempt by the factory.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

What Jason said. Looks like 4 peens with a screwdriver and one more for good luck. With all that exposed it would be a good time to do the selector fork seals / indent seals.

Thanks for the input, helps a lot! Great suggestion about new seals. Excited to get to work...

You can use 5/8 heater hose to do the selector seals, it will shift tight for a little while as it beds in.

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...seals-in-a-IIA

should be some mounting bolts in theose two holes.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Yes, the bracket that holds the main gear change lever.

I have to pick my battles, (and afraid my skills are too limited at this time), so I didn't replace the seals. She is back together and seems to be running well with the exception of it feeling warm in the cab.

Thanks for the help!

You've mentioned heat in the cab in both threads. It's common. Aside from the general lack of insulation and air flow in the floors and foot boxes, the exhaust runs right under you. It's normal for it to get quite warm. My right foot can get uncomfortably hot on a nice hot summer day if I'm on a long trip.
    Glad you're having fun with it, keep it up.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

That's good to know, I was worried, thanks!