Thread: Series one Conversion kit from generator to alternator ? Neg ground? Anyone done it?

Default Series one Conversion kit from generator to alternator ? Neg ground? Anyone done it?

My generator is not charging my battery. I have a 1956 Series one, 86" with the original generator.. I don't even want to mess with a 1956 generator,, so I want to do a conversion to a 1 wire alternator., Like a Brand New, smaller, A.C. delco, or similar.. My 12 volt system has been converted to Negative ground..
    It was an original, 2 wiper motor, Pos ground vehicle at birth. Anyone done it? And is there a conversion bracket kit, or is it easier than that?

Another issue,, my steering is sloppy,, While turning my steering wheel, and looking in the engine bay,, I can see the black, steering box mount/ bracket ( part/figure #118- Support bracket 86" & 107" model), actually bending with the steering box, as I turn.. ,, but I am surprised that bracket has not broken yet.. If that thin, metal bracket, is all that supports it, seems like a design error,, or am I missing something.. It drives OK, but I have to stay on top of the steering wheel. I am sure the steering rack has never been rebuilt, or tended to. Any advice? Or can you beef up that bracket? Thanks. Tim 1956 series one, 86" "Tilt" . snowgear@frontier.com

If it were me, I'd take the genny to an armature shop and have it repaired. They will probably just clean up the rotor, put in some new brushes and it won't cost you more than 40-50 clams.

Well, is the bracket rusted or cracked? If not then maybe check all the fittings for loose or rusted bits. These things collect crud in the crevices where it holds moisture which leads to corrosion. The slop may be from a host of things. I can think of at least 15 places right off the bat where it could be worn, or out of adjustment.

x2 on rebuild of the generator, unless you really need the higher output of an alternator.
    FWIW, I ran a Warn 8274 on my generator equipped '62 for a number of years.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Just took the generator for my 1951 Series 1 in for a bench test and was told the repair would be $150+ if they could get the parts, while a new replacement generator is $135. Went for the latter and it should be in today. Re. the steering, I'd recommend that you join the LRSOC (I've seen your initial post there), lots of info on rebuilds of everything and a very helpful bunch of folks.

Ah, hold on that: new generator arrived but shaft is a smaller diameter and it won't take the wide diameter pulley for the wide S1 belt. Gotta see if there is another pulley available that will work. Will keep you posted.

That is a odd pulley. I have the same one. If your new generator is not using the key to locate it, you could make a sleeve for the pulley bore.

Turns out the tech had not measured the new generator correctly and the shaft diameters are the same; however, the key slot on the pulley is wider than the key on the shaft so the fit is not as tight as I'd like but when the nut was tightened it snugged right up. We'll see if it works...