Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What diffs will fit in a stock series axle housing?

Default What diffs will fit in a stock series axle housing?

I'm looking into changing / upgrading my diff in my ser III 88". Would like to swap to 24spline half shafts, and a stronger carrier. Would also like to gear down to lower gears (numerically higher). Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Wouldn't it be easier to try and source a T-Case with the lowest possible low range. I cannot say as I have ever heard of a any higher gearing than 4.77 in a series. Maybe a IIA / III one ton transfer case would be a significant boost in low range performance.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...htm#seriesxfer

ARB or trutrac's are your best options. I have ARB's with maxi-drive axles and 3.54 R&P's. With a stock engine and trans, I would consider the overdrive from wise owl. You will lose your low range by dropping the R&P ratio. The stock engine doesn't have enough beans to pull hills.

My rover has a V8 and a granny 4speed adapted to a stock t/case with"b" suffix gears.

For the rear you can get a Salisbury. They aren't, knicknamed the flying anvil for nothing. I thought great basin rovers did an upgrade to stock rover diffs/ half shafts.

Thanks for all the input. I can't find much on the maxi drive half shafts, anyone have a link or know what happened to them?

I have never had a problem with power out of my motor and run a overdrive right now. I would like to step up in tire size, axle strength and gain more traction (locker). But I don't want the overall final drive to change much and if it does i would like it lower. Anyone know how different the one tonne transfer case is? Can its low gears be installed into a suffix b case?

Blue bomber,

Any chance you could share some info on those front cv's? And is your trucks wide stance all from changing the back spacing on some aftermarket wheels?

Thanks!

I will share. "B" suffix, denotes large pin case with a 2.88 low range rather than the 2.35 of a "C" and up suffix case. Does sound like much but it makes a difference. For example, in my case it takes my low range first gear from 55.65 to 1 to 68.20. With 350ft lbs of torque and 33's it won't stall !!The cvs are the same one that GBR sells as well as Ashcroft. There is a little trickery to make it work, but worth the effort. The wheels have 3 and 1/8th back spacing. 15x8

Thanks again! I'm real interested in the cv's, time to fire up the old google machine and see what I can find under "cv's" and "trickery".

Cheers

The cvs are early, stage one and 110. The spindles and swivel housing are modified to accept in cv and new inner shaft,in place of the universal. I'm considering composing a conversion guide for series LR's. I think it would be worth while endeavor.