Thread: Low Beam Power Problems

Default Low Beam Power Problems

I'm having a problem with the low beams.

When I flip the switch on the panel I get the side lights but NO low beams, push the wand forward and I get high beams. Pull the wand towards the driver to "flash" on coming traffic, I get low beams... pull it a little more I get high beams.

So, I dig into the dash. On the wand with light switch on: (A) has 12v (B) does not...push wand forward (C) gets 12v. Pull wand towards driver (B) gets 12v.

Is the wand broke? Should (B) have 12v when the light switch in on? Am I missing something?

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  26.8 KB

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

I have had two of those wands let go on me. One lost high beam lights the other lost all head lights completely out on the beach in Nantucket at night! Not a fun ride home. I now have a whole spare setup in the parts box.

You may have luck fixing it but in both cases the plastic was just too worn out/broken to justify fixing on mine.

Same here--I'm on my 2nd or 3rd wand. Simple troubleshooting--just use the schematic and figure out where the 12 volts to the headlights disappears and either fix or replace that bit.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

The solid blue wire should be incoming power from the light switch and would have power only with the light switch in the headlamp position. The purple wire should be incoming power for the high beam flash and should be connected to the fuse box on a fused spade powered by a solid brown wire.

The wand contacts connect the blue power to the blue with red tracer wire for low beam, and blue with white tracer wire for high beam. For flash, the wand contacts connect the purple power to the blue with white tracer wire.

I've also had several failures of the wand contacts. On the last one I just jumpered the blue to the blue with red tracer wire to restore the low beams. They now just stay lit when the high beams come on.

Bob