Thread: Need advice - 60 109 2L diesel

Default Need advice - 60 109 2L diesel

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1960 series II with the original 2L diesel (currently disassembled).
    Trying to decide if this is a good move or should I shy away from the 2L.
    my concerns
    -parts availability
    -Speed
    PLUSES
    -very low miles
    -cool truck
    CONSIDERATIONS
    cross country shipping (right to left) have access to shipping through work
    Good price
    getting the diesel engine re-assembled

Any opinions, suggestions would be appreciated
    thank you
    Kevin
    02 Discovery SD
    60 88 -Stubby
    69 88 BUGEYE

Speaking as an owner of a 109 with a 2.5, 65 horsepower diesel engine, I say that that 2.0l diesel is not an asset, but rather a liability (ESPECIALLY if disassembled).

Consider this "opportunity" as a Rover without an engine and adjust the sale price accordingly.

You have been warned.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Take it for what it is and for what it is not! If you are up for a project and willing to spend the time sourcing parts form around the globe, go for it. It sounds like a rare enough truck that it should be kept stock and rebuilt. And if it is, what a truck! I would love to have one.

Good point...I always look at these old Rovers as daily drivers and sometimes this skews my opinions.

If the intent is to restore it to its former glory and drive it on special occasions, I could see keeping the 2l diesel, though the internet isn't exactly bristling with parts sources for this engine.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

There are lots of 109's out there that you can do engine swaps on. If it were me and I decided this was the "one" then I'd try to keep it stock. It's a neat truck. Ultimately it's you're vehicle and you can do as you wish with it. I have yet to meet a series truck that I didn't like in some way...
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

As has been mentioned its a rare engine. Sourcing parts will be very challenging and frustrating. Given that it's in pieces is a huge problem. Seals ,corrosion(especially bearings), and potential for missing parts and fasteners are a big drawback. If it were me I would assess what's salvageable and set it up as a long term restoration project and just use a 2.25 so you can enjoy the rest of the rover.

Kevin,

I agree with the others^^^^^. You need to determine what it is you want to use a vehicle for. If you just are going to use it as a daily around town driver you can leave the 2L in. If you want to take long trips, stay off the highways. Forget climbing mountains. I have an 88 with the 2.25D, going over the Sierras I'm in third gear spewing black smoke holding up traffic doing 30-35mph. By the time I get to 9000 feet I'm in first gear(depending on grade) on Sonora Pass. To not spew the black smoke one needs to reduce the fuel output of the injector pump by 3% for every 1000' elevation. Something only done by a competent shop.
    On the other hand IF you really like the looks and have the addiction(Landys of course) Now would be a good time to put in that 200TDI which you can go on the highways with.
    Mostly depends on what you want to do and wether or not you are a rivet counter(stock purist).

gene

You are just there in Tigard. Get a hold of Ike Goss down in Sprongfield. He will be a source of parts. If he does not have a stash, he will know who does.