Thread: 3 rd gear/auxillary tank

Default 3 rd gear/auxillary tank

OK I got 2 questions for the experienced .

(1) In reference to my series 3,when placeed in 3rd gear and release the clutch,there is a kick back of the leaver but it does not jump out of the gear.Is it a easy fix or is it a sign of a bigger issue?

(2) What is the best way to add a return and vent and guage to an auxillary tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by LRover74 View Post
    (2) What is the best way to add a return and vent and guage to an auxillary tank ?
    I presume that you're not talking about a Rover aux tank--They should all come with a sender flanges and are vented through the filler cap AFAIK.

So...

Just use a vented cap. If you need a fuel return, just add a Rover fuel pickup tube with the tube cut off (or use a fuel return elbow). And...

...if I were to put a Rover sender on a tank that had no flange, I'd just fab up a quick split ring anchor plate using 8-32 rivnuts as anchors, rivet it in place under the fuel tank top and use a thick rubber gasket between the sender and the tank lid:

If you have a Rover sender already, and you just want to be able to switch back between the primary tank and the aux tank senders, all it takes is a simple Single Pole, Single Throw switch installed on the dash to select which sender is connected to the gauge:

Last edited by SafeAirOne; 06-19-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

What I like to use for any return line or any pick up line in a fuel tank or small plastic/rubber hose is Kimpex part number 07-276. Drill an 1/2'' hole and your set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07-276.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	8358

Name:  parts-unlimited_07-276.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  2.6 KB