Thread: Removing Railco Bush

Default Removing Railco Bush

Anyone have any tips on removing a Railco Bush from a swivel ball? Mine seems pretty stuck and I don't want to damage the swivel ball. Also I assume I may have trouble putting the new one in so any tips for that as well would be greatly appreciated.

I brought mine to a engine rebuild shop, 5 minute job with a 40 ton press.

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRover View Post
    I brought mine to a engine rebuild shop, 5 minute job with a 40 ton press.
    I was thinking I may have to do something like this thanks for the suggestion.

Being an odd shape it's difficult to hold and support if you try to tap it in with a block of wood and hammer (or similar). A press really does make short work of it and is safest for those expensive parts. Short money to do it vs. making a mistake with the BFH.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

I just did this as well, good advice above.

I took mine to NAPA ( some have a machine shop) and I think they charged me $20 or so and it took about 20 minutes.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Removal with a long punch and a big hammer up thru bottom. Install by freezing. With bore lightly greased should tap in with a wooden or plastic mallet. Just keep an eye on the alignment. If it gets off kilter just work the high side til it's back in line.

I had removal and refit done by the way. Bring the new railco with you, it also cost me 20$ about 7 years ago.