Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more info on my 2.5 chevy in my 109

Default more info on my 2.5 chevy in my 109

the easiest part of doing this was the clutch. remove the chevy 9 inch clutch, pull out chevy pilot bearing and machine it to fit rover input shaft, install on to the chevy flywheel the rover 9.5..or 9.25 what ever size it is clutch..........and the bolt holes line up!!!!!! .............i dont have my exhaust on yet but yes i have driven this down the road.......( yes under its own power) and yes i have even shifted all 4 gears..........this works. here are pics of the engine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130603_192234.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	8530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130603_192350.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	8531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130625_194843.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	8532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130711_100229.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	8533

This is cool considering its all shade tree engineered. No prefabbed adapters or anything. Just a technical suggestion though. It might be better if you keep adding all this to your original thread instead of opening a bunch of smaller threads. That way it's all in one place.

I like the idea of installing a 4 cyl. fuel injected more modern engine. Good power and economy as well as modern reliability. Does it go like stink?
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Does it go like stink?
    You took the question right out of my mouth, I would also like to follow this all in one thread.

UP-date --i am figuring this web thing out (slowly) i think what i am doing now is keeping this all this in this post ...feel free to let me know what i should be doing so i can improve...today i installed dorman exhaust manifold #674-101... this is for a front wheel drive because the S-10 manifold goes backwards and the front wheel drive goes down like a rover and clears my PTO driveline for my winch better then the rover manifold did.......and yes this goes like stink....i will weigh scale it to find out how much lighter the front end is...i expect 200 to 300 LBS...... i am interested in answering any questions people have.

RE: engine adapter plates......(shade tree style).....3 things must happen when you are making your own adapter....first clutch depth if this isn't done accurately then you are just making scrap metal....the distance between the flywheel surface and the surface that the transmission bolts to is 1/4 inch.....if you want your clutch to operate you must maintain this distance....i used a 3/8 plate so i got the land rover engine side adapter plate machined down to exactly (only approximately now because it is raining now and laying under truck hard to see)...1.5 inch thick....so by hand hold it on new engine and you will get 1/4 inch to flywheel face if you don't then correct what you did....now leave that and drill 1 hole and mount steel plate on engine bolt it up tight and mark and drill a hole on opposite side then bolt it up and do the rest.....SECOND....clocking make sure you aren't putting the tranny in on an offset angle..... thirdly... the pilot shaft must line up exactly...or engine and transmission failure will happen...(god i love spell checker)...once input shaft is in pilot bearing drill 2 small bolt holes and bolt it up tight to the plate adjust this accordingly so when 2 small bolts are tight the input shaft does not bind or drag......very very critical....when done do not remove these bolts..... unbolt plate from engine and now you can one at a time drill larger bolts to all the other holes.....then bolt steel plate to the engine (i did this 100X all the way threw this) and check for no drag or bind....if ok remove 2 small bolts and install large bolts ..permanently bolt plate to engine.....bolt up tranny to engine and check for drag or bind on input shaft...if this is good and you are happy....now you can install clutch....ok now in a nutshell first-clutch depth, second- clocking, thirdly-the elaborate bolting up so input shaft does not bind or drag....with these 3 rules you can make any engine fit any transmission...(.with in reason)....... land rover guys are practical i don't expect any bad email from some guy trying to install a 475 detroit diesel in a rover.........PS...i just wanted to say again i am so impressed that a metric 9 inch 4cyl chevy flywheel takes a 9 1/4 inch british clutch.....what are the chances of that eh? ....i think this is the best and most perfect engine swap......(that i can afford)............Thanks all and let me know what ya all think?

standing in a parking lot a well endowed young lady seen me staring and that i was aroused...i felt i should explain....i said i am impressed to see something so beautiful...a big smile came over her face and she came closer...i said i am hoping to get a picture....she said yes ill do anything you ask..... i said ok great just step to the left so i can get a clear picture of your land rover.....thats how i got the black eye..................hahahahaha....lmao

What vehicle is the motor from?
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

my 109 chevy 2.5L is from a (vin. A) 1991 chevy s-10 2WD. the HEI ignition is from a 1979 monza......early engines have ignition in the front of the block, latter it is moved to the rear. the 1991 has the highest HP and a timing chain, earlier had gears.... to learn more look on wikipedia (however it is spelled) and look for iron duke 2.5L. this has the complete history and a lot of neat info on it. i took my fuel injection off made a plenum riser (may give it even better bottom end) and i put a rochester monojet off a chevy 250 I6.....plates tomorrow....next day muffler shop....and test drive.........................X-mass is coming early for me this year, i cant wait

Hi there, now have muffler installed.....(was hard to drive with fingers poked in ears).... carb needs a little fine tuning....i didn't really know what to expect i did give it some test drives and i was impressed....now with the back loaded up with all sorts of heavy spare parts and some camping gear the drive back from the muffler shop really did it....it runs smooth and does not run out of breath at higher RPM it pulls real hard from stop all the way up.... a hill that previously was 3RD gear only now is 4TH gear and i can gain speed at half throttle..... i don't have a tack yet but on this hill i slowed down to almost a stop in 4TH gear and it didn't stop pulling but engine was going so slow i shifted into 3RD.... i must say this engine is perfect for a 109....smooth has no problem with high RPM pulls hard at all RPM speeds.....and overall is a lot lighter then the original.... i am looking for the S3 i seen in town last year it is X-military diesel and i think a 2.5L i will surprise him on a hill....i think that anyone who does this mod will be just as happy as i am.

you should buy the 3 liter crank, rods, and pistons that I have...they will fit right in there....

Quote Originally Posted by gwmaxhunter View Post
    ...i think that anyone who does this mod will be just as happy as i am.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."