Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Series IIa grille - anyone recognize?

Default Unusual Series IIa grille - anyone recognize?

Hi, I am new, and just purchased a 1967 Series IIa. It has a very unique grille that looks legit rather than a "custom." Anyone recognize this, or have any ideas?

Thanks - Tim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROS 1 E grille.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	8535
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks - Tim

1967 Series IIa 88

Could be Santana, not sure. What's the rest of the truck look like? What year?

Google image search came up empty. My first thought was Santana, too, because if it's weird it's Santana, but most Santana s3 grills I found look like your average s3 grill.
    '67 sIIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by east high View Post
    Google image search came up empty. My first thought was Santana, too, because if it's weird it's Santana, but most Santana s3 grills I found look like your average s3 grill.
    Just did the same thing too and came to the same conclusion.

Does look very Santana'ish...except the big "Land Rover" at the top. Could just be some obscure after market IIa grill. Hang it on the wall behind your basement bar and put on a proper wire mesh bbq grill style part!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

It looks similar to the grille on Queen Elizabeth's Series II... so it could be from a parade vehicle of the same vintage but lesser importance. Is it one piece? Plastic or metal? Dunsfold may know something...
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

I asked on the Series 2 forum, got these responses:
    Is that one of them 'state review' grilles? 58paul would be the chap to ask!
    Commonly known as a State review grille, but also I seem to remember a chap on this here forum who had taken pictures of Land Rover's in a scrap yard in Greenland and they all had them grilles!
    Commonly known as a State review grille, but also I seem to remember a chap on this here forum who had taken pictures of Land Rover's in a scrap yard in Greenland and they all had them grilles!
    A prototype S3 plastic grille - lucky Americans ...

:RHD
    you can see Pauls grill in the second or third picture in this thread

http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/f...c,63788.0.html
    Isn't that a grille off a royal review vehicle - should come with a set of matching chrome hub caps ... yum yum

:sheep_skip

Now that it has been suggested, I knew I had seen that style grille somewhere. Land Rover Enthusiast Magazine did a piece on review vehicles with photos. I just searched through the collection, and yes, these were on the Review vehicles. Another piece they did on the Queen's Series II 109 did not come with this type of grille, but there may have been a grille like this on some of her other series vehicles, I just have no verifiable proof. Someone must have found it, thought it was cool, and placed it on your vehicle.

Since these were rare, maybe 10-20 review vehicles being made, It might be worth something.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Wow! Royal is *much* more interesting than Santana. Yes, it is in one piece, and seems all metal. Not sure about the hub caps (from are FWH anyway) - will check that out but they are pretty toasty.

Thanks to partsman for link from S2 forum - yes, that is the same as in the pics.

Thanks so much everyone - really helpful!

Tim
    Thanks - Tim

1967 Series IIa 88

Stomper - Any possibility that you could either post that article, or scan and send it to me? Or at least give me the publication date so I can contact them to look it up?
    Thanks - Tim

1967 Series IIa 88