Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you a different engine in your rover..if so what do you have.

Default Have you a different engine in your rover..if so what do you have.

Do you have a different engine in your rover....if so what do you have and how did you do it...and hows it work.

I have a 2.8L NA Daihatsu diesel in my '82 Series III 88". For better or worse, I purchased it with the conversion, but I believe it was performed with one of these kits. I definitely like the conversion for the fact that it fits the engine bay without any modification and it's got good power (but being the NA, no turbo to worry about and less likely to overpower the stock gearbox & transfer case), the only problem is finding parts.
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	8614
    My 1960 Dormobile has one of these inside

The engine is a Ford 302 from a 1969 Mustang. It has Airflow Research aluminum cylinder heads which make the engine about 50 lbs lighter weight than a stock 2.25 LR petrol engine. As can be seen from the picture it also has 1993 Mustang EFI. To go with that it has a cam designed for the EFI timing and low end power.

The bell housing & clutch are off the shelf parts. The clutch is activated by the stock LR clutch slave cylinder.

Gearbox is a close ratio NP435 with an Ashcroft high ratio Series transfercase behind it. The overall ratio for low range first gear is 50:1 The stock series ratio os 40:1 (rounded off). With 33 inch dia tyres 65 MPH is 2650 RPM and 70 MPH is around 3000 RPM.

Rear diff is a Salisbury with ARB & Great Basin strengthened axles. Front diff is a Trutrac limited slip with SeriesTrek 24 spline front axles. R&P is the much stronger 4.75:1.

How does it go? More power at idle than the 2.25 has a peak. Better fuel mileage across the RPM range including about 50% better at the slower speeds. It goes wherever I point it as long as the BFG mud terrains can find traction.

Name:  1v8s.gif
Views: 968
Size:  9.6 KB

Why did you ask?

200Tdi. Still in build, but I hope it goes like stink. Bigger intercooler, bigger exhaust and cranked up boost and fueling.
    I almost did the 302 thing, but the Tdi came along at the right time and the appeal to keep it all Rover was very strong.

Have a 3.5L with LT-95 trans & transfer (it's a one peice set-up) from a 70's Range Rover, it replaces the original inline six. Running a John Wolfe Racing intake and Weber four barrel, pertronix ignition, carter fuel pump, and also a Fairey overdrive (this type is rare as hen's teeth).

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

1970 IIa 88 with a 6.2l NA diesel

I have an Isuzu 4bd1T turbo diesel going in to a 73 109 5-door with a dodge nv4500 5-speed behind it with the original transfer case. Hope to have it done and ready for the British Invasion show in Stowe VT in late Sept. Motor should be ready to fire by the first week of Sept.

Converting from RHD to LHD.
    Converting to P38 power steering with Disco II steering linkage.
    Just finished putting Disco I axles underneath to gain 4 wheel discs.

3.9V8 and Pertronix electronic ignition on standard LT95.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Quote Originally Posted by toga Rover View Post
    I have an Isuzu 4bd1T turbo diesel going in to a 73 109 5-door with a dodge nv4500 5-speed behind it with the original transfer case. Hope to have it done and ready for the British Invasion show in Stowe VT in late Sept.
    This is the only thing that'll motivate me enough to get me up to Stowe for British Invasion this year. PLEASE post up if you are heading over--I'm itchin' to see this in person. Prepare for a billion questions if you go.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

2.5 NA diesel out of a Defender. Love it!
    Jim