Thread: 18 yld D1 ignition system cuts out

Default 18 yld D1 ignition system cuts out

I've probably rebuilt this truck twice over, but its been sitting for a few years as my rover time has been re-allocated to my 100 year old house. In that time, everything corroded (not a complete exaggeration). So, a month ago, I put a plate on it and drove it for a couple of weeks without incident. Then, it started cutting out. Everything goes dead. At first I could restart it but it has gotten progressively harder and now I can only start it occasionally and for no rhyme or reason. Here is what I have done so far:

Relays are cleaned and covered with dielectric grease.
    All grounds have been cleaned, conditioned, or re-established.
    Melted fuel pump wires replaced.
    Leaking fuel return lines replaced.
    Replaced MAF sensor (which initially solved an idle/ hesitation problem)
    New Engine has about 10k, injectors, sensors, etc

When I built the engine, I installed fuel pressure and vac gauges. The fuel system presurizes, relays click, pump buzzes, runs and 30 seconds later cuts fast without any stammering. System stays pressurized but no spark. It just cranks (like a champ). I'm running a mallory dist. with a built in module. Not sure how to test that (although I think i'll look that up right now.)

When it was running, I did hear some relay chatter while driving. I could not identify what caused it but the truck never stalled or hesitated while it was happening. The fuel gauge stopped working too.

The only thing on this truck I haven't had my mits on is the security system. I bring this up because the truck would always cut out in front of a Walgreens that had a security wire embedded in the lot to disable carts. It happened about 5 time before I pulled the antenna. After pulling the antenna, the truck never reacted like that again (in the really busy intersection in front of walgreens). The problem just started happening randomly and degraded to the point where it won't stay running at all.

Any thoughts.

Default Make me an offer. It has a locker in the rear. Lots of new parts!

You would have to trailer it out unless you can fix it. No reasonable offer refused.

Quote Originally Posted by mussolini View Post
    I've probably rebuilt this truck twice over, but its been sitting for a few years as my rover time has been re-allocated to my 100 year old house. In that time, everything corroded (not a complete exaggeration). So, a month ago, I put a plate on it and drove it for a couple of weeks without incident. Then, it started cutting out. Everything goes dead. At first I could restart it but it has gotten progressively harder and now I can only start it occasionally and for no rhyme or reason. Here is what I have done so far:

Relays are cleaned and covered with dielectric grease.
    All grounds have been cleaned, conditioned, or re-established.
    Melted fuel pump wires replaced.
    Leaking fuel return lines replaced.
    Replaced MAF sensor (which initially solved an idle/ hesitation problem)
    New Engine has about 10k, injectors, sensors, etc

When I built the engine, I installed fuel pressure and vac gauges. The fuel system presurizes, relays click, pump buzzes, runs and 30 seconds later cuts fast without any stammering. System stays pressurized but no spark. It just cranks (like a champ). I'm running a mallory dist. with a built in module. Not sure how to test that (although I think i'll look that up right now.)

When it was running, I did hear some relay chatter while driving. I could not identify what caused it but the truck never stalled or hesitated while it was happening. The fuel gauge stopped working too.

The only thing on this truck I haven't had my mits on is the security system. I bring this up because the truck would always cut out in front of a Walgreens that had a security wire embedded in the lot to disable carts. It happened about 5 time before I pulled the antenna. After pulling the antenna, the truck never reacted like that again (in the really busy intersection in front of walgreens). The problem just started happening randomly and degraded to the point where it won't stay running at all.

Any thoughts.