Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas not getting to carb?

Quote Originally Posted by pyounts View Post
    Having same issue as original post. Ran it out of gas and found their was no fuel to carb. Took line off going to fuel pump and gas gets to fuel pump. Cleaned bowl and then took top off of fuel pump. Really looks pretty clean and I didn't find any trash. Everything in fuel pump looks ok. Put it back together and still nothing. Did priming lever a bunch but it is not sucking anything into the sediment bowl.

Any ideas?

If you have no fuel to the carb you can work backwards to a fuel filter (assuming you have one). If it's clean and still no fuel to the carb, continue to work backwards to the fuel pump. Clean the glass bowl and re-seat in the rubber gasket..........if it does not seat perfect you are going to get an air leak and it's not going to prime. While it's a pain in the ass the best way to ensure a tight seal is to pull the pump off the block and re-seat the bowl on the workbench, then re-install the pump.

The little hand prime sucks.......keep turning the motor over with the key to get it to prime.

If you still get nothing you can go backwards yet again and check the fuel pickup tube and screen. If your tank is full of rust, dirt or water drain it.....clean it.....change the filter and try again.

There are only a few things that are going to screw you up between the tank and the carb:

- Pickup tube/Filter
    - Fuel Pump
    - Paper inline filter

Process of elimination, around six beers, philips head screw driver and 1/2" open ended wrench should cure what ails you.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Thanks! I've really done all of that. Gas gets to the fuel pump but does not come out. Do you have to prime it with gas to get it to start pumping?

I saw something in an earlier post about using a syringe.

Perhaps the diaphram has a leak or the out check valve is stuck closed.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

I read on another post (maybe a joke) to try and suck gas into the fuel pump. We'll I tried but from the output end and it is closed or stopped up.

Any chance the one way check valves got flipped when you had the pump apart. There should be two in it, one in each side of the diaphragm.

I took the top off of the fuel pump, but didn't see any loose parts that could have been put back in wrong.

If you put a fresh hose on the intake port and run that into a jar a fuel will it pump then? If not it's your pump. If so, keep looking at the lines, pickup tube and tank.
    Jason

3 pages/24 posts...well, 25 now...and we still haven't identified the exact point at which the fuel stops flowing in a system that consists of a grand total of 4-components (one of which is "fuel hose")?

Good thing it's not ignition-related!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    3 pages/24 posts...well, 25 now...and we still haven't identified the exact point at which the fuel stops flowing in a system that consists of a grand total of 4-components (one of which is "fuel hose")?

Good thing it's not ignition-related!
    Hey, I'm supposed to be the bad cop in the good cop\bad cop routine!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Hey, I'm supposed to be the bad cop in the good cop\bad cop routine!
    Oops...Sorry Jason--Bit of a misunderstanding, I'm afraid. Let me go behind you where I will struggle to restrain you while you attempt to break free of my bonds and go berzerk.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).