Thread: 4x4 light

Default 4x4 light

I just bought a 97 disco put it in 4 wheel drive, know I cant seem to get my 4x4 light to turn off. Any suggestions. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zac13black
    I just bought a 97 disco put it in 4 wheel drive, know I cant seem to get my 4x4 light to turn off. Any suggestions. Thanks
    Have you tried disengaging the diff lock? pushing the lever to the right?

Sometimes if there is load on it the difflock will stick. You can try a number of different things but make sure to keep the lever in the unlocked position don't keep shifting it back and forth. Try backing up for a little bit, try putting it in neutral and if that does not work just drive it around preferably on dirt. It should eventually become disengaged.

It's always a good idea to use the diff lock from time to time to keep it working in good order.

Rover is always Four Wheel Drive
    Yeah baby!
    Just a little add on to the above-
    -vehicle in neutral first
    or
    -sometimes driving forward 10 -20mph
    shift to neutral then try to dis-engadge
    Last edited by landrover77; 06-11-2007 at 08:13 PM.

thumb-up

Ditto Buddy's comments. Mine sticks occassionally on trails... just drive a few more feet, maybe turn the wheel a little.
    Not trying to be an arse, but do you realize the diagram on the transfer case knob (and diagram) is describing an H pattern? It's not necessarily a clearly understood system if you are coming over from some other 4wd manufacturer.
    Left side locks the center differential and causes the light to go on - don't drive on the street with this light on if you want to have a happy, long life with your transfer case. Right side is where you want to be when on the street, as Buddy said. That's high and low range (still full-time 4wd), but without locking the center diff.
    I'm not sure if the intricacies and full system explanation has been made on this forum, but I know a search on other forums will turn up several threads explaining all this.
    I apologize if you already realize all this - perhaps I'm reading too much into your post regarding your relative 'new-ness' to the LR world.
    99 D1
    06 LR3
    09 LR2