Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking clutch

Default Sticking clutch

Hello everyone,

Quick request for advice on my series III. After redoing the brakes, fuel system and hub seals I finally backed the Rover out of the garage today for a spin. Unfortunately, I noticed immediately that when I depressed the clutch all the way to the floor to change gears the pedal would not rise back up to normal position after I moved my foot and instead stuck to the floor. I drove it long enough (while awkwardly reaching down with my hand to pull the clutch pedal back up after shifting) to conclude the actual shifting of gears seems to be working fine. I only drove it once previous to starting the work I just finished and don't recall the clutch sticking. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach this?

Thanks for your help!

Check the return spring between the pedal and the footwell anchor above your feet & check/lubricate the pedal arm pivot pin:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Check the return spring between the pedal and the footwell anchor above your feet & check/lubricate the pedal arm pivot

Thanks for the help. Tonight I took the wheel off, took the splash guard off the wheel well area, and sprayed WD40 all over the areas of the pedal arm pivot pin that I could access. I also purchased and installed a new spring from our hosts. Unfortunately, the pedal still stocks when it is pushed all the way to the floor.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Could it be a bad master cylinder?

Long shot here but this past weekend I went to pull out of my driveway to a trip to southern VT and a very similar issue arose. After a couple pumps the pedal ratcheted back into place. Turns out the damn chipmonks have been stashing acorns up in the pedal assembly!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Long shot here but this past weekend I went to pull out of my driveway to a trip to southern VT and a very similar issue arose. After a couple pumps the pedal ratcheted back into place. Turns out the damn chipmonks have been stashing acorns up in the pedal assembly!
    Spider webs did prevent the ignite button on my grill from working yesterday but unfortunately I can't blame chipmunks for the clutch issue. It was worth a try - I'll try anything at this point!

I went back out this afternoon and the first couple times I pump the clutch all the way to the floor it pops right back up. If I actually hold it down to the floor for a couple seconds it sticks. Then it seems to stick more frequently after that even if I am only pumping it. Contrary to intuition it seems to stick more the more it is pumped.

Any other suggestions?

Not sure if you replaced the clutch master or slave, but I've had the piston bind in the bore on a week-old clutch slave before. Scored the walls of the cylinder in doing so. IIRC problem also manifested itself as an occasionally sticking or 'delayed' pedal return. VERY annoying!

I don't buy parts from that particular supplier any more.
    --Mark

Do you fancy SIII guys have a flex line? That could be breaking down inside preventing the fluid from being able to return to the MC.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Do you fancy SIII guys have a flex line? That could be breaking down inside preventing the fluid from being able to return to the MC.
    Yup.
    --Mark

Yup.
    Yup.
    Thank you both for the continued suggestions. So it sounds like my next two steps are:

1). Check to flex line between the master and the slave to make sure it is clear and fluid can go both ways
    2). Replace the master and slave cylinders (I haven't replaced either).
    Is that correct?

Well, you COULD just replace everything, but my tack would be to just examine the components to determine which one is faulty or needs maintenance.

If you're going to remove the flex line for troubleshooting, you might as well replace it. They're cheap and you're going to have to bleed the system anyhow.
    --Mark