Thread: Series III Speedometer cable question

Default Series III Speedometer cable question

About a week ago, my odometer stopped turning over; I can see the unit trying to advance the counter to the next mile, but something isn't properly engaging. A day or so later, it stopped showing vehicle speed. Figuring a cable issue I tried to replace the speedometer cable with a new Series III cable, but when I popped the dash open to unhook the existing cable, I realized it looks different than my replacement. The cable that is in there doesn't appear to have a screw tip; instead it has some kind of clear / whitest plastic piece on the end where it mounts to the speedometer. I can't pull the dash panel out very far, so I can only see it a little from the side (a lot of blind reaching going on), but the existing cable doesn't appear to unscrew. I am now questioning if my speedometer is from an earlier series or a defender given how the cable is attached (and requiring a non-series III cable). I believe the current speedometer was installed when the vehicle was brought over to the US about 10 years ago, so it is possible that it is from another model rover. Any suggestions?
    ~ Corey

1974 Series III RHD SWB
    2003 Freelander

Since I'm in the middle of disassembling my SIII and did this a few weeks ago: there's a plastic clip on the side of the black plastic (in my case) hood/receptacle that needs to be released so you can pull the cable out. It was frustrating to release with the dash not pulling out very far, but once released the cable will just pull out. It's shown in the Green Bible, if you have one. If not, I can try to get the specifics for you later.
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

morgant -

Your comment is helpful - the plastic bit looked like a clip but I was having a terrible time getting it to do anything. I will take another stab at it tonight.
    ~ Corey

1974 Series III RHD SWB
    2003 Freelander

Step 3 pretty much sums it up:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Yup, exactly what I was going to look up for Corey. Thanks, Mark!
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

Quote Originally Posted by CRiordan01 View Post
    The cable that is in there doesn't appear to have a screw tip; instead it has some kind of clear / whitest plastic piece on the end where it mounts to the speedometer.
    Yes, the later model cables have a whitish plastic clip that you can squeeze to undo. Earlier/original ones had an orangney coloured plastic shaped more like the one in the service manual. They both do the same job.

I can't pull the dash panel out very far, so I can only see it a little from the side (a lot of blind reaching going on), but the existing cable doesn't appear to unscrew.
    You might find it easier to undo the two thumb screws that hold the speedo into the dash and pull it forward and out of the dash. Then you can get at the cable and check the condition of the wires (they can get pretty corroded and brittle).

I am now questioning if my speedometer is from an earlier series or a defender given how the cable is attached (and requiring a non-series III cable).
    It is a series cable, by the sound of it.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...20cable&page=1

Beware the Britpart rubbish. I recently had to replace one and went through every britpart cable in the shop. Every single one was kinked at the speedo end. That was after I'd bought and replaced with two other because the speedo was jumping about crazily.

In the end, I went and got one made. Much thicker spring and very good.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

All,

Thanks for the feedback. Alan, I will take your advice and go the thumb screw route. Have a nice weekend - great time of year to be bouncing around country roads in the series.
    ~ Corey

1974 Series III RHD SWB
    2003 Freelander