Thread: Both high/low horns stopped working.....at same time. Not fuse...

Default Both high/low horns stopped working.....at same time. Not fuse...

Well, inspection time is once again due here in Maine and it's time to get this horn issue resolved. One day the horns were working fine....the next...not so. I figured I blew a fuse but when I checked the listed horn fuse(s), they were fine. I disconnected both the high and low note horns and neither are getting power.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help

dave
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"

Check out the relay, and then the often offending Earth connections. Just got done with a '96 Disco tonite, all it's troubles (4 of them) were corroded connectors.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Ok, I just verified that it is not the relay...from what I've been able to determine it is the yellow relay closest to the driver on the driver's side (NAS). I switched them with other yellow relays and the horn still isn't working. Also, because the hazards are working and are in the same fuse, would that eliminate the ground? The grounds that I've checked look great. Thanks for the help
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"

Default UPDATE

This morning I dug into this a little deeper. I removed the air bag in the steering wheel and this is what I have found:

-no voltage at the steering wheel horn sensor contacts (behind air bag).
    -12.5 amps at the relay. But when I switch out with a new relay, still No power at steering wheel.
    -engine bay fuse (30A) for hazards and horn...only get .75A. That's weird but the hazards work fine.

-the battery is reading 12.5-13A

if anyone with an electrical background could translate this info into something I could understand and continue checking, I will buy that person a beer when in the Maine area!!!

thanks
    dave

I Figured it out.

I was actually able to trace the problem, thanks to a $10 voltage meter, to the rotary switch behind the steering wheel (see picture below). I dismantled the assembly and found that all the contacts had chewed themselves up somehow. Fortunately, I had an extra steering assembly that I pulled from a scrap disco I had last summer! You never know when you will need an obscure part like that. Kind of a weird issue but it's the first time I've ever come across a failure of this part. I'm just glad to have my factory horn back!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  74.7 KB

Thanks
    Last edited by dandruka; 10-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.

That's great! Now I can add this info to my store of weird Rover problems and solutions.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S