Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 109" or 88" Preference and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    This is a grass is always greener question. I have MANY - I recommend this to others
    Corrected for you. Payload, family car (Prior to rebuild) and zippy for me and the dog.

A friend has a 109. I have an 88, and prefer the 88, a little bit more zippier around town, not that any of them are fast by any means, easier to park, easier to turn. But yes less load capacity, and if you like taking the trucks into the woods, the 88 is most definetly easier in New England decidious woods, usually crowded with lots of rocks and trees.

Get the 88 and a M416 trailer or Sankey.
    1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

I've been driving around in a 109 for the past 10 years.

It really depends. Some days I love the 109, then I get stuck between two trees and I curse the extra 3 feet of vehicle.

I think the biggest advantage is the ability to comfortably carry extra stuff. Couple that with "slimming down" exercises in packing and all of a sudden I don't need a tent. For simple overnighters, this is great. Not having a tent to screw around with is fantastic.

One memorial time was when I went to tellico and I was meeting a guy and buying four 34x9.5 TSLs from him. It was super sketchy, but I met him at about 11pm at the intersection of trail 1 and 6 (I think that is what it was), loaded up, went back to camp, then slept next to them in the back. Had plenty of room in the back for all of that. Then went and wheeled two days with the extra load in the back. No extra issues with the 400 extra lbs in the back.

An 88 for around town would be awesome or a trailer queen. Actually a lightweight for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    This is a grass is always greener question. I have both - I recommend this to others
    Amen!

Gregor, I showed my wife this photo and said "See, I'm not the only one!"
    My wife would now like to get your wife's phone number. She wants to start a support group for Rover spouses.

[/QUOTE]
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

The following is subjective and coming from owning 2 109's and an 88.

The 109's have a FAR smoother ride. If I am planning on driving on a rougher road or going on the freeway the 109 is my ride of choice. Without much weight in it, the 88 is like driving a shopping cart, even with large tires and parabolics. The 109's, even without the overdrive, have some voodoo magic going on in them that make them cruise more comfortably at higher speeds. Unless you plan to wheel it REALLY hard, the 109 can go almost all places the 88 can. 109's really are canaverous, we can fit more stuff into our 109 than our '97 suburban.

The 88 is quicker and more nimble. I have one as a trail truck and a summer cruiser, because it fits in smaller places and the top is much easier to take off. With an 88 you don't have to be good at parking. They are deceivingly small and can fit into any space. I have a friend that uses one to commute from Western CT to NYC for work everyday. If it's just you and your dog, or you and 1 other full size guy, the 88 will be plenty.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

I just remembered one other thing that no one has mentioned. The seats in the 109 lean back more than the 88 seats. What this means is that you are in a more relaxed position and there is more space between your torso and the steering wheel & windscreen. The result is that the front seems roomier and not as cramped.

A 109 regular has standoffs between the behind the seat bulkhead and the back of the seats. Remove the standoffs and you have a couple more inches of rearward lean in the seat back which adds to the spacious feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyman View Post
    I like you. Good point. I'm thinking the best combo is a Defender 110 and 88 IIa with a canvas top.
    I have exactly that, although the 110 is a 3 door, and highly recommend the combination. Although the Series are better looking than the Defenders. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"