Thread: Bonnet Tire mount question

Default Bonnet Tire mount question

I am installing tyre mount hardware and parts to my plain bonnet. I have installed the plate, and I am about to install the rubber bumps. What is the distance from the center of the plate to the position of the rubber bumps ? I estimated about 14 inches. I would greatly appreciate knowing the actual measurement.
    Also, are the rubber bumps actually needed ? It seems the the rubber bumps are only needed if you are attaching a rim with no tyre.
    Thanks in advance!

Just a suggestion, as I am facing this issue as well...

I plan on placing the spare on the mount and noting where it comes in contact with the hood. Then I'll position new bumpers at that distance. The PO of my Landy didn't do this and, with the bumpers improperly mounted, the tire rested directly on the hood; thus burnishing a nice tire-ring into the paintwork.

Piano,

Yep, use the rubber bumps placed so they are where the tire contacts the hood or you also will have a nice tire size circle in your paintwork. It's the tire, not the wheel itself that contacts the hood. Another tip is to be gentle in lowering the hood with the spare on it as it can stress the hood supports under the hood if you drop it during closing.
    Cheers,
    Rob
    69 Bug Eye

Thanks Gentlemen,
    The number is 12 inches