Thread: My latest gumption trap

Default My latest gumption trap

'58 SII 88"....

Here's the scenario: restored bulkhead, new Marsland chassis (really a SIII I guess), restored original steering column and box with the original mounting plate, hardware, etc.

Here's the problem: the steering column will come no closer than about 3/4 of an inch from the top half of the clamp on the interior, where it emerges from the dash. I can't seem to do anything to bring it closer. All the fasteners are slack, the steering arm is disconnected. I'm stumped.

Anybody ever encounter this? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, as always....
    Joel
    '59 SII 88"
    '06 MCS
    '67 TR4A-IRS
    '71 BMW R75/5
    TR3A, E-Type, etc, etc...it's a disease

I know rovers are pretty much meccano sets, but putting a '58 body on a S3 frame might have brought a few things out of alignment? Bulkhead resto botched?

~Stv
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    I know rovers are pretty much meccano sets, but putting a '58 body on a S3 frame might have brought a few things out of alignment? Bulkhead resto botched?

~Stv
    No, I don't think there's a problem with the bulkhead; virtually nothing needed to be done to it except blasting and painting. And as far as I know the frames are interchangable. I'd be more suspicious that I got a bum frame.
    Joel
    '59 SII 88"
    '06 MCS
    '67 TR4A-IRS
    '71 BMW R75/5

I know those chassis are listed as Series IIA-III only, but the kit from our hosts to make them compatible with the Series II only provides additional hardware for different hand brake mounting. I can't recall from the IIA bulkhead I just stripped of my galvanized chassis a couple months ago, were there any shims that you might've missed?
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

Quote Originally Posted by morgant View Post
    I know those chassis are listed as Series IIA-III only, but the kit from our hosts to make them compatible with the Series II only provides additional hardware for different hand brake mounting. I can't recall from the IIA bulkhead I just stripped of my galvanized chassis a couple months ago, were there any shims that you might've missed?
    I don't think so... with a little fiddling, I think it turns out to be a relatively minor increase in the size of the holes in the upright that is needed along with some more shims. Hopefully I won't find out that the doors, fenders, and rear tub don't line up...

Thanks for the advice.
    Joel
    '59 SII 88"
    '06 MCS
    '67 TR4A-IRS
    '71 BMW R75/5