Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake line fittings?

Default Brake line fittings?

Could I buy brake line fittings for my 61 109 station wagon at NAPA? What do I ask for? They sell the copper/nickel 3/16ths tubing, and I want to try to make the brake lines myself. Thanks.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

I often seem to be the odd man out and haven't found a NAPA location that's convenient for me, so I can't speak on their offerings. I've had good luck with FedHill's British/Girling selection. It's at least a good reference for what parts you may need.
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

FedHill highly recommended x2.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    FedHill highly recommended x2.

I checked them out. Looks good. What size fittings? Are all the brake fittings the same size? I noticed that the clutch and brake masters have larger fittings, along with the female fitting that goes to the bottom of the resevoir.
    Thanks.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Oh, and about the flares. Double or bubble? Pulling off all the old brake lines and fittings, I've seen mostly doubles, but some bubbles. Bubble flare at the clutch master.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

All are DIN flare. The clutch one is a regular inverse flare. I think the brake one is too if you have the remote tin can reservoir to the MC.
    I bought the Eastwood flare tool. I found it on ebay for $89 new.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    All are DIN flare. The clutch one is a regular inverse flare. I think the brake one is too if you have the remote tin can reservoir to the MC.
    I bought the Eastwood flare tool. I found it on ebay for $89 new.
    Great. Thanks so much.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Thumbs down Dangerous idea

Quote Originally Posted by DGG View Post
    Could I buy brake line fittings for my 61 109 station wagon at NAPA? What do I ask for? They sell the copper/nickel 3/16ths tubing, and I want to try to make the brake lines myself. Thanks.
    NO! Absolutely not

You have British spec fittings which are incompatible with US spec fittings. They will interconnect but are not safe to use. The British male fitting has a long snout ahead of the threads. The American one does not. When you screw an American male fitting into a British female fitting the American fitting will screw all the way in but the flare will not seat. When you screw a British male fitting into an American female fitting, the flare will seat with only one or two threads holding the parts together.

You can buy British fittings and use them on American lines. What I did was buy new British fittings from Rovers North and steel line from my local auto parts shop. I would cut one flare off the pre-made American brake line, remove the American fittings & replace with the British fittings. bend the line to shape, cut to length and make a new flare. That way I was able to start with straight lengths of tubing so the finished part would look nice and I used the correct fittings to go with the various cylinders and the brass junction fittings.

But never ever mix British and American spec fittings Your insurance will not cover your accident costs and you will always be at fault.

Name:  jacko_e0.gif
Views: 2196
Size:  6.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    NO! Absolutely not

You have British spec fittings which are incompatible with US spec fittings. They will interconnect but are not safe to use. The British male fitting has a long snout ahead of the threads. The American one does not. When you screw an American male fitting into a British female fitting the American fitting will screw all the way in but the flare will not seat. When you screw a British male fitting into an American female fitting, the flare will seat with only one or two threads holding the parts together.

You can buy British fittings and use them on American lines. What I did was buy new British fittings from Rovers North and steel line from my local auto parts shop. I would cut one flare off the pre-made American brake line, remove the American fittings & replace with the British fittings. bend the line to shape, cut to length and make a new flare. That way I was able to start with straight lengths of tubing so the finished part would look nice and I used the correct fittings to go with the various cylinders and the brass junction fittings.

But never ever mix British and American spec fittings Your insurance will not cover your accident costs and you will always be at fault.

Name:  jacko_e0.gif
Views: 2196
Size:  6.0 KB
    Thanks TeriAnn. I think while doing a search here on "brake fittings" I came across a post where you mention that, and that sounds like a geat way of doing it. Does NAPA not sell the 3/8" 24 unf non- threaded lead male connectors, and the 3/8" 24 unf female connectors. I have a NAPA very close to me so its more convenient. If the don't carry them, the ill order from our hosts or fed hill. Depending on the overall cost of things, I might just go with the automec kit.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

NAPA online has a ton of info but you may have to dig a little.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president