Thread: possible cracked block

Default possible cracked block

bummed out this morning ,took the kids to school this morning after a 30 degree night , when I got home I was leaking radiator fluid , the location is on the side of the block next to the starter motor in a circular area about 2 inch diameter , there is 3 of them circular forms on the block ,the leak is the one right up against the starter motor
    any thoughts

from your description it would seem to be coming from one of the casting plugs (aka "freeze plugs") They are a pain in the butt to repair in the vehicle, but it can be done. It's about a 3 dollar part. You have to knock out the old one, clean and dry the area and push in a new one that's been permatex'd.

Now that I think about it, I believe there are temporary repair ones you can get that are made of rubber. They have a bolt in the middle and a nut on the outside. You tighten the nut, it expands the rubber and seals the hole.

thank you , it was the freeze plug behind the starter motor , I removed the starter and was able to get it out all in about an hour ,waiting on the new one from our host , thanks to all

Not sure if the plug just rusted away or it was actually forced out by ice, but I'd recommend making sure your anti-freeze/coolant is up to snuff, lest you have to buy a new engine.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).