Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insuring for value a Series vehicle

Default Insuring for value a Series vehicle

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask any way.............Insurance?

I own two LR's and am looking to purchase an older Series vehicle. Hagerty does not like the idea that I might use the vehicle for the purpose it was intended. My insurance agent is not sure she can protect my investment.

Does anyone have a policy that allows drivability and protection of the full value of your investment?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny2rovers View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask any way.............Insurance?

I own two LR's and am looking to purchase an older Series vehicle. Hagerty does not like the idea that I might use the vehicle for the purpose it was intended. My insurance agent is not sure she can protect my investment.

Does anyone have a policy that allows drivability and protection of the full value of your investment?

I use State Farm and they do not have a problem with an agreed upon value policy. Have Somebody provide you with an appraisel (LR Dealer, etc.) and give it to your agent.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Your agent may also think that 'off-roading' is similar to the Baja 1000 or the Camel Trophy. If all you want to do is drive it through some fields or old dirt roads I would let her know.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

I have AAA insurance and my Rover is a 64. When I inquired about a stated value policy they told me that I would have to get an appraisal done before they would insure it for a stated amount. They also told me that regular collision would be a waste of money because of the age of the vehicle. Since I drive it on a regular basis I plan to get the appraisal done and then see what the stated value collision policy would cost. Be very careful about which stated value collision insurance you purchase because some of them have mileage limits or use limits which I found were too restrictive.
    Jim

I got mine through State Farm: I told them the value I wanted it insured for and sent them the requested inside / outside photos. They agreed and sent me the bill. Very easy, in my view. Your results may vary.......

I have a Hagerty plan, and while it is not a perfect solution, it seems to be adequate. There are no milage restrictions, and they did not require an appraisal. They do not like the idea of using the vehicle "off road", so I figure anything I break while wheeling is my own fault and I will pay for separately. They just don't understand there are levels of terrain, and not everyone is out to recreate the Camel Trophy.

The other nuisance, is they require the vehicle be garaged when not in use. Sometimes mine is, and sometimes it is not. Regardless, I hope to never need to collect on it anytime soon, but if I do, I should be able to replace my truck pretty comfortably with the value I stated.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

I just have regular old liability with Geico. I figure if I crash it, I can fix it. It's tagged with geezer plates, so that means I can only run it in parades or in club events or some crap like that. I used it as a dd for years and never was questioned by any cops except for them giving thumbs up or asking what it was.

When I had Antique Plates I had no amount of problems with my local police force. I kept getting pulled over because they saw it on the road too much. As has been said, Your results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny2rovers View Post
    I have Hagerty as well. Agreed value policy. No mileage restrictions, but I'm not supposed to use it for commuting - pleasure use only.

If you get 'antique' plates, some states have restrictions, while others do not. CT has no restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME View Post
    When I had Antique Plates I had no amount of problems with my local police force. I kept getting pulled over because they saw it on the road too much. As has been said, Your results may vary.
    It varies. Here in GA, the "antique" plate is just a special plate you pay extra for. Kinda like having your favorite college or support animals or kids or whatever plates. You still pay for the full everything so no difference in registration.

However in NC, "antique" carries with it restrictions.