Thread: 96 Disco Fuel Pump Issues

Default 96 Disco Fuel Pump Issues

My Disco sat for more than a couple years. When I got it running again, I had fuel pump issues that I figured had to do with bad gas fouling the pump. I've since replaced the fuel pump twice, the fuel pressure regulator once and the fuel filter at least twice. I still have issues that appear to be some sort of vapor lock, which is a similar problem I have with my 1970 VW. When the engine is warm and I have about a quarter tank or less, it can become impossible to start. The engine does not get any fuel. I can spray starter fluid into the air intake and get the engine to start but will quickly die again. Usually, I can let it sit and can start it the next day with no problem. Last summer it happened on an especially hot day and I never could get it to start (hence the second fuel pump). It appears to only happen when the tank is at 1/4 or less. Any suggestions? It doesn't cut out when idling. Only after I shut off the engine and try to restart an hour later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I was having the exact same problem, but now it won't start at all. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel injector manifold and started the engine. Only a small amount of fuel came out of the open line with no pressure at all. I suspect the fuel pump, fuel filter which hasn't been changed in 18 years and the fuel pump relay. I want to get to the fuel pump so I can turn the key and see if the fuel pump will push fuel at a higher pressure. Since you've already replaced your fuel pump twice, can you give me instructions on how to get to the access plate to the fuel pump. How do I remove the rug? what screws do I have to remove?

Also, do you know how to test the fuel pump relay?

Once I get the new fuel pump in...I'll share info with you on how my problem progresses. It might help you with yours....

Thanks....

No need to reply>................I got my answers to my questions. Now I hope someone will respond to your issue which will also help me.....

This may not be your problem, but I've a friend who had similar issues with his '96. This lead to an immobilizer circuit in the anti-theft device. There is some sort of jumper or by-pass that can be made to correct this problem. The immobilizer shuts off power to the fuel system which allows you to crank the engine all day without starting. He found the needed info on some other Rover Forum, of course I don't know which, sorry.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S