Thread: Coolant leak - more like disappearing into the ether

Default Coolant leak - more like disappearing into the ether

Hi LR Disco 1 98, ~100000 miles

(I understand the concept of conversation of mass so I know it isn't disappearing really)

Apologies as I am sure that this has been asked many times before.
    I am loosing coolant - among other things

When I say I am loosing coolant I mean that I am loosing about 1/2 gallon in just about 30 minutes of driving or so from what I can make out. Basically it is drinking coolant

None of the coolant hoses are leaking, got a puddleof water in a channel of the front cover just behind the water pump. No coolant in footwell (don't think it is heater core leak). Engine temp is just below half on console gauge and I have no smoke (white or otherwise) from the exhaust.

Engine is a bit bumpy on startup sometimes ?? i.e. I can start it and it runs smooth, turn engine off and restart and it is a bit lumpy until you hit the gas and then it runs smooth (new plugs and leads).

Can't think if what else to say except - HELP ??
    head gaskets?
    freeze plug?

I can't find any leak that looks like this much coolant disappearing.

Oh yeah - topped up coolant, drove for about 5 minutes or so, lost a ton of coolant and not a single drop of coolant leaking from below the engine so if it is going anywhere it isn't going on the floor ???

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers

I would suggest going to an autoparts store and try to get a leak detection kit. It is a black light reflective fluid that goes into your coolant reservoir and if there is ANY fluid leakage coming out of anywhere, you will be able to see it with a small blacklight. this is kind of what it will look like, although this is from leak testing my A/C system, but you get the idea. You might also check the oil, if it appears milky, you might have a head gasket leak, or (worst case) a cracked block.
    Attachment 10193

I could be a blown head gasket (very Common). They sometimes blow in such a way that they force coolant out of the reservoir overflow tube, and can eventually either split the radiator or the coolant tank, from over pressure. That is, from combustion chamber pressure entering into the coolant system. And the coolant that is sent to the exhaust doesn't always show up as white smoke out the back. There's a test kit for that too, it checks for combustion contamination in the coolant.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

I have a small coolant leak. pick up the material today to look for the leak in the am

any best practices one should follow?

they state to pour marking material into radiator and then run the engine to warm it up. I plan about a 30 to 40 min drive

any feed back would be great

thanks

That might do the trick if it's an external leak. if it's an internal leak a combustion test kit might be needed, they are available at most auto parts for about 30 bucks. It will test for combustion products in the coolant itself at either the radiator filler or overflow tank filler.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S