Thread: Question on towing...

Default Question on towing...

I have a land rover/Volkswagen custom fab project going on... And I had a question concerning flat towing. The engine, drivetrain and frame are all from a 95 discovery, 5 speed. Is there a proper way to tow this vehicle, say, behind a motorhome with all four on the ground? What's the procedure? Is it just putting the t-case in neutral and letting the shafts spin free? Or do I need to get shaft disconnects? I've heard mixed things, yes and no... So I'm just looking to get to the bottom of it :P
    Thanks!

Likewise I'd like to know with my 101... But that's the lt95 4spd, so I'm not sure if it's different.

Thanks!

Default Towing recomendations

As a rule of thumb, if I'm towing a 4wd truck short distance, under say 50 miles, I just put the x-fer in neutral. Over that, at highway speed, disconnect the drive shafts from the difs. The reason being, most X-fer cases don't have a reverse oil pick up. Meaning most of the oil gets moved through the gears when power comes from the x-mission, but not the other way.