Thread: So I have a bit of a question about the ball joints.

Default So I have a bit of a question about the ball joints.

So I have a '98 Disco 1 and I'm have some seriously loose steering. I originally thought that it was the power steering however I get the so called "wobble of death" when I brake and I can't seem to keep a straight line due to the oddly loose steering. I think maybe this could be the ball joints on the track rod and the steering rod because my rover's ball joints all seem to lack the grease boots. I'd like to get a second opinion as to whether or not I should replace these joints before I replace them. Thanks ahead of time!

Check the Swivel Balls, they may need to be adjusted or replaced.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

May I ask how you'd go about adjusting them?

It usually requires new swivel pins and/or shims. Sometimes bearing also, or...a new set of swivel balls, depending on how bad things are.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Ah well I'll probably just replace them it'll be easier and then I can repair the ones that are currently under there so I have a backup. Thanks for the help!

Typically the 'Wobble of Death" is cause by bad panhard rod bushings. Fairly easy to diagnose in the following steps:

With a second person behind the streering wheel, engine running, vehicle in park, level ground, parking brake applied, have the person turn the wheel back and forth whilst looking for movement of the panhard rod under the front of vehicle where it [panhard rod] meets both the axle and the frame rail.
    There should be NO movement of the rod itself. If there is movement, replace both bushings.

Whilst the bushings are cheap... the removal of the old bushings will have you very frustrated without the use of a press.

Good luck.
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

Luckily I do have a press.... fun with the bushings for the radius arms forced that one upon me...