Thread: Thinking of Buying a P38 in need of a head gasket

Default Thinking of Buying a P38 in need of a head gasket

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking of buying a P38 with a blown head gasket. I have always liked them, and thought that I could get one pretty cheap and make it my winter project.

I wanted to get your opinions on what to look for, (or stay away from) when shopping around?

Also if anyone has done this job before and would like to comment on how difficult it is or worth even getting into?

I have had a 2 classics and a Series 2A, so this wont be the first time I wrench on a Rover, just the newest one!

Thanks!

Steer clear.

The P38 engines are finicky. All Al block with Fe sleeves that are prone to failure, i.e. "dropping a sleeve".

Is it JUST a blown head gasket or are the heads warped? If the engine was overheated for an extended period... you should suspect a dropped sleeve. Therefore a suspect engine.

There are plenty of used P38's on the market with reliable engines... go for one of them with a good service history and single ownership. Carfax should be able to assist; little money upfront saves expensive repairs later.

Good luck,
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

Thanks for the imput, I figured it would need more work than I thought but wanted to post to see what you guys thought on here.