Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new door tops.

Default Need new door tops.

In an attempt to take off my door tops this weekend I broke a stud. It was incredibly rusty so I imagine the remaining one is as well. My glass is still good so I would like to buy the $90 tops sold here. My question is do they come ready to install glass or would I need to also buy fittings? If they don't come ready to go: would I be better off getting the $200 tops? I guess I should also ask if there is another source I should look at. Thanks

If your window tracks are still acceptable to you, you should just be able to swap it all over to a new doortop frame.

Out of curiosity, was (is) the stud permanently rusted into the tube in the door bottom? They can be near-impossible to remove in situations like that.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks for the info. Neither the stud that broke nor the one that is still affixed were rusted to the tube. It is just the studs themselves, the one that broke, broke in the door top with minimal force.

Do yourself and your Rover a big favor and buy Rocky Mountain door tops. you will never regret it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME View Post
    Do yourself and your Rover a big favor and buy Rocky Mountain door tops. you will never regret it.
    Jim
    A big x2! They are terrific.

Those are the door tops I'm using, no regrets about getting them... I also have the Defender bags for storing them when they're off for the summer.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Rocky Mountain is the way to go. Everything else is a waste of time.
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Rocky Mountain it is then. Thanks

You will not be sorry
    Jim

Only other option is the genuine LR defender doortops (used on factory softtops and military D's). They have aluminum frames, removable (M10) studs, and dual sliding glass with an angled cut rear pane (opens furhter forward). You can also get SS studs for them, eliminating the rust issue for the foreseeable future...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS