Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiper motors

Default Wiper motors

Hey folks, The wipers motor on my 72 SIII started smoking and the mechanic simply disconnected it. I've been looking online and see that new replacements are $379 here. Do you know if 1) I can use a single speed wiper motor? Or 2) Can I use motors from other models, an SIIa for example? What do you recommend as I can't afford a new one but want to be safe. Thanks, S

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

I don't really know the answer to your question BUT until you get your answer (and thus can get it fixed) I have had great results with Rainx on the windshield. At times more effective than the wipers themselves.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    I don't really know the answer to your question BUT until you get your answer (and thus can get it fixed) I have had great results with Rainx on the windshield. At times more effective than the wipers themselves.
    X2 - Rain-X is amazing on Rover windshields.

I have never used this service, but it is far less money than buying a new motor:
    http://www.british-car-part-restoration.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    I have never used this service, but it is far less money than buying a new motor:
    http://www.british-car-part-restoration.com/index.html
    I contacted him. He will not even take any new work as his queue is months long right now.

Call Ike at pangolin and find a good used unit.

I got Ike's number thanks and he said to call. I just posted another thread, should've used this one, for another question about removing the motor. ANyway, I'll call Ike tomorrow! Oh, and I'll look for some Rain-X, should work here as i"m in NM and it rarely rains anyway!

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

The wiper motor is very easy to repair and the motor is the same as those found on many British cars of the era. I suggest you pull it out and dismantle it and see what is the problem. It is not possible to say why it may have burned or what, but once you are inside you will see the workings are pretty basic and even the armature is replaceable with, for example Morris parts.

To give you an idea, the brushes on mine have worn out previously so I pulled the motor apart and shaped new brushes with a razor blade from similarly shaped brushes that cost about $1.50. Since mine is a series III motor I have two brushes, one for normal speed and one for high speed.
    Last edited by disco2hse; 10-25-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

...an even slower speed?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

A bit of research in my Lucas interchange manual shows the wiper motor the same part # for MGB from 65 to 73, the housings for the gear may be different or may be close enough to use. Will have to go out to the garage later and take a closer look at the motor and gear houing, probably pretty close to the B motors, thank goodness for "parts bin engineering" have used a lot of spare Brit car parts on my Series III, will give you an update upon further investigation, good luck, Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    ...an even slower speed?
    haha thanks Mark. I didn't notice the text got clipped at the
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit