Thread: Help Evaluating a 2003 Disco SE7

Default Help Evaluating a 2003 Disco SE7

Looking at a '03 SE7. First time owning one and could use some help on what to look for when checking out this truck for purchase. Common issues, pitfalls, little issues that are actually major, big issues that are actually minor, etc... Am a '64 SIIA owner/enthusiast/addict looking to buy this disco as a first trail project to do with my 16 year old son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Blown head gaskets (sometimes it is a head bolt thread crack in the block) and radiators go south regularly. Have compression checked as well as cooling system pressure tested. You may have to pay for these services, but it's better than getting it home and finding out it needs head work and a new radiator. The rest is pretty much the same as any other car, do the electrics work, any body damage or rust, etc..

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Thanks. Basically, I should treat it like the Land Rover it is! Took a look at it yesterday and found out it has the "three Amigos" lights. Did a lot of research and found several different options for fixing. I've looked at three other vehicles and they all have same problem. I believe this truck actually had the ABS modulator replaced, if so, that would at least eliminate the most expensive fix from the list of possible repairs. Any thoughts on this issue? I've ready plenty of horror stories about this and plenty of "no big deal" posts as well. Sure the reality is somewhere in the middle! Thanks again.

I've seen it as simple as adjusting a wheel sensor, sometimes it's just cleaning up a plug socket. But some folks just call them the Christmas lights and ignore them ("Does everything seem to work? Good, screw it...").

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3599S

Got an '04 SE7 here, Mostly cosmetic problems and rotten hoses. I have had electronics problems constantly. Big problem I had was I didn't check Drive 1. After I bought it I realized The automatic shifter was getting stuck between 1 - 2 had to get adjusted. So check all your drives make sure they light up. Check The Diff lock, low range and high. Make sure the diff unlocks. They seize up on these models and my guy recommends locking the diff in all off road situations. " It's a headache for me, You, and your wallet" his words.