Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a wiper motor

Default Replacing a wiper motor

How do I take off the wiper motor to replace with a new one? (1972 SIII). There is the motor but I don't know how to remove the metal cord (?) that goes to the actual wipers, and yes, i know I don't have the right words but my brain is farting out on me. Thanks!

Name:  DSC02171.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  87.2 KB

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

Looks like you've got to remove the wiper arms (so the wiper spindles can spin all the way around), and pull the inner cable out along with the motor assembly during removal:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

To swap the cable off the old motor to the new one, you'll have to remove the cover on the back of the drive housing (well, the "front", really). Here's the motor overhaul instructions:

--Mark

PS: 60 to 70 rev/min? What dreamers! Maybe 45.
    --Mark

Oh sheesh, I thought it'd be easy!

1959 SII sold

I was thinking just the opposite--If I had known it was this easy, I would have removed it and cleaned/lubed my cable a long time ago. I thought you had to take off the upper dash and remove the wiper spindle wheelboxes also, which would have been a HUGE PITA.

As it is, you just pull the wiper arms off and yank the cable through.
    --Mark

There's always...

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    There's always...
    Ha. I should; I never remember to order wiper blades when I order other parts and since NOBODY local stocks 11" wiper blades, I've been using the same pair for...11 years now.
    --Mark

My 1970 IIA has the same setup - I took the whole thing apart, cleaned / lubed all the bits, and reassembled. Very simple operation, and I am certainly no master mechanic.

By the way: The Rain-X option is no joke - Rover windscreens seem to be just the right shape for it. I put that stuff on one morning before heading off to the British Invasion in Stowe VT. We got caught in a downpour crossing the White Mountains in NH, and I didn't even need to turn my wipers on - the water just blew right off. Now I use it before any trip.
    Last edited by TedW; 01-19-2015 at 05:23 PM.

[By the way: The Rain-X option is no joke - Rover windscreens seem to be just the right shape for it. I put that stuff on one morning before heading off to the British Invasion in Stowe VT. We got caught in a downpour crossing the White Mountains in NH, and I didn't even need to turn my wipers on - the water just blew right off. Now I use it before any trip.[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem here is snow in the winter and this stuff doesn't help with that but yes, for now I'm using the Rain-X too! I should have time later this week to tackle the wiper and we'll take it from there. I'll keep you all posted, thanks.

1959 SII sold