Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing a wiper motor

Sleam,

It is not as hard as it looks, the nut(#5 marks first post) holding the cable in place on the top needs to be loose to turn the motor to access the cover plate. In Marks second post you can see right by the #7 to the right is the cable end which goes over the stud on #4. The biggest thing in reassembly is having the #4 in the same position as the wipers otherwise the cable will appear too short/long. You might as well clean out the old grease and put in some new. I used Phil Wood bicycle grease in mine. HTH
    1960 "bitsa" 88--Ignotus
    1960 109, 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

Where'd you find those great diagrams? I don't see them in the Green Bible.
    Also, does anyone know a good place to get replacements for the washers? The one under the circlip on mine has a groove worn in it.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I was thinking just the opposite--If I had known it was this easy, I would have removed it and cleaned/lubed my cable a long time ago. I thought you had to take off the upper dash and remove the wiper spindle wheelboxes also, which would have been a HUGE PITA.

As it is, you just pull the wiper arms off and yank the cable through.
    Mark, SIII set up is much more difficult to get at the boxes due to the dash arrangement. SII's are much easier to get at the parts.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Quote Originally Posted by IIA View Post
    Where'd you find those great diagrams? I don't see them in the Green Bible.
    If you mean the ones I posted at the beginning of this thread, I just took them right out of the SIII Workshop Manual (NOT the "Haynes" thing!). Electrical section, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    Mark, SIII set up is much more difficult to get at the boxes due to the dash arrangement. SII's are much easier to get at the parts.
    True, but I don't believe you really have to get at the wheelboxes to remove/reinstall the cable, so long as you remove the wiper arms, if I'm understanding the instructions correctly.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).