Thread: Ill fitting Rear Crankshaft T seals / difficult to install?

Default Ill fitting Rear Crankshaft T seals / difficult to install?

We are trying to install a new set of Proline PLC322 rear crankshaft T seals and right out of the box they are very difficult to fit into the rectangular channels on the bearing cap. The top of the T ends are even a bit short. Is this normal? I can't imagine the bearing cap will go back in without pulling the seal to shreds.

What gives? Do we have to trim it down or something? I understand the green bible says trim it to 1/32" proud of the surface but I can't even get it into the groove!

Is it ok to have the top of the T short on the ends about 3/16"?

Any thoughts are appreciated. It took us many, many hours to get this far and we hate to bungle it now only to discover the problem later.

Thanks.

Ebben and Jay

If this photo works - I took a few strokes with a hand file on the very sharp edges of the groove and am able to drive the seal in with a hammer and flat wood block - but is it ok if the T top ends short as this photo shows?

Name:  Tseal.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  79.8 KB

I always find it easier to stretch the seal a little bit while you're installing it so it fits the channel better. I've also learned to order two pair of seals whenever I need to replace them, just in case I mess the first set up.

IIRC, the book says to chamfer the bottom inboard corners of the seals so they don't pinch.

Make sure you use plenty of lubricant along with some nice, smooth guide blocks when you install the cap or you'll tear the seals.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks for the reply. It seems like these are the only seals available and Les at RN compared them to the original style and they measured up the same. I have to figure out the guides. I don't have a set of them right now and I did not see them offered at RN when I ordered the rest.

Thanks for your help.

jw