Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wipers and turn signals died

Why don't Lucas lights work?

Because gentlemen do not go motoring after dark.....

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    Why don't Lucas lights work?

Because gentlemen do not go motoring after dark.....
    Ha!

I'll throw another "check the grounding" onto the pile. Proper grounding seems to cure all that ails the electrical issues encountered on my Series truck.
    1976 RHD Series 3 - SOLD
    1989 Land Rover 90 LHD
    1940 Piper J3F-50 Cub

I've never used dielectric grease before. I did some searching on how to use it and most sites just say "apply it to the connectors." But isn't it too easy to get it on the metal parts that make the electrical connection? Wouldn't that insulate them?
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

nope, wont insulate, the grease in conductive?? or neutral and covers the connections and keeps the air away and prevents the corrosion. Just smear it on the connector/bolt up point and a bit of peace of mind is acheived. Used to be you could buy stuff like this at Radio Shack, but now that they are the phone stores, electrical support is non existent. Most auto parts stores will have some. Its like the yellow grease you see on the headlight plugs on the new cars.

I've tested everything I can think of on the wiper motor. The ground was good, I tested the armature and all the wires and everything has continuity where it should and not where it shouldn't. The only thing I can think of is that the brushes are pretty worn down. I tried touching wires directly to the commutator where the brushes would touch but that didn't do anything (should it?). Can anyone recommend a good source of replacement brushes? Or other things to try?
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

Don't forget, that continuity with a volt meter doesn't always mean you have a good connection. I've had plenty of times where the meter reads zero ohms, but when you attempt to pull some actual current through it, it doesn't work.

As far as cleaning terminals, I found something which works much better than trying to use a file or emery cloth. Using a Dremel tool with a stainless steel brush does a fantastic job. It cleans the surface to almost to a polish and doesn't create deep scratches into the metal. Most times it is just as easy to reach the contacts as it is with my fingers, sometimes even easier.