Thread: Solenoid or starter?

Default Solenoid or starter?

When trying to start my Series III today, while the engine was turning over I heard a "pop" and then it quite turning over. When I turn the key I hear a click at the solenoid but the engine wont turn over. The battery is showing 12 volts and is new this year, so I dont fee that it is a dead battery.

How do I differentiate if it is the solenoid vs. starter?

All help greatly appreciated. Hate it when I cant drive the Land Rover....

If you can reach it AND you have a nice stout screwdriver you can trying bridging the gap between terminals (one brings power from the battery the other takes power to the starter) if your starter turns then its your solenoid.

If you like beer then having a nice stout to celebrate would be fitting - or a nice stout Screwdriver if nothing seems to be working and you have vodka and orange juice . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

While the "stout screwdriver" wether the stout is in a glass or can or screwdriver, most auto parts stores have remote start buttons that will protect you from igniting the garage flammable vapors as the screwdirver arcs , prevent you from electro shock thereapy if you happen to be part of the circuit and protect you retinas form the arc flash.
    Check the mounting bolts to be sure the starter is solid, otherwise lack of ground. also the remote starter would help so you could be underneath, with the vehicle checked to see if in neutral, and then be able to hear up close if the bendix is engaging. I had a similar problem a while back, turned out the positive cable end to the starter was kaput, it was steel not copper. New copper end from the auto parts store was cheaper and quicker than a new starter which I was fearing it was.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If the starter is still engaged, it will do the same thing. You can turn the starter backward about half a turn and it should disengage. The next time you try to start it, if the starter is turning, you should at least hear a louder click as it engages. In about 5 or 10 minutes, you can have the starter off, and using jumper cables, see if it turns. Have a helper or use your third or fourth hand to secure the starter if you do, because it will want to break-dance if it is working properly.

At 12 volts, the battery is pretty much dead. Try a jump start