Thread: Muddy sludge in oil pan

Default Muddy sludge in oil pan

The first thing I did after purchasing my '71 was to drop (and clean) the oil pan; and then change ALL fluids before attending to it's numerous operational needs. I had to clean out LOTS of muddy sludge at my first oil pan cleaning with a shovel...well....a large spoon anyway. And I've dropped the oil pan several times at oil and filter changes since then (servicing it every 2500 miles). To my surprise, I'm still getting a spoon-full (or two) of muddy sludge in the bottom of my oil pan. Where's it coming from? Should I change my oil more often? Is anyone else checking their oil pans on a regular basis and getting these results too?

BACKGROUND:
    Castrol 20 w 50 oil
    Original canister style oil filter (using a WIX 51099 or FRAM CH834PL1)
    Oil pump components and screen in pristine condition

I know...I'm probably over-dramatizing the crud factor, but I'm curious if anyone else is greeted with muddy sludge residue at oil pan inspections.

Thanks!
    Daily Driver:
    1971 Series 2a, 88, Soft-top, LHD

What you are seeing is normal, with all the sludge you took out the first time, there are a lot of corners in the engine that had gotten "crudded up". I wouldn't worry about dropping the pan anymore, sounds like most of the offending crud has been loosened , and that is what filters are for. Keep going with the regular change. I have taken apart some TR7 motors that would make you cringe, hence the meaning of "Dreaded Previous Owner" the dpo factor. They are bad people happening to good vehicles.
    Good luck.

Bruce, sooon to driving the TR7 and hopefully the Land Rover sometime in Sept