Thread: IIA Front axle questions

Default IIA Front axle questions

I am in the midst of a full restoration (and I use that term loosely regarding this Rover) on a 1966 IIA and have removed the front axle from the frame to begin cleaning things up for repainting. Since I have the axle out what should I be checking? This Rover was sitting for 13 years so I'm assuming new seals at the very least? Luckily for me the swivel balls seem to be okay. Any info from those with more experience working on these would be much appreciated!

You can search swivel ball replacement. This will be an intensive project that is usually needed on some older trucks. If you are not planning on that much of an investment, than check at least condition of wheel bearing, seals, oil seals, and play in the wheel bearings. Make sure breather on top of axle case is clean. Might get the fishgage out to check preload on left to right steeting resisitance. 2 cents.

Full restoration says to me you will be tearing down the axle assembly. All new seals, careful inspection of bearings (http://www.timken.com/en-US/products...ments/6347.pdf), rebuild the swivel housing. If the swivel balls are good just do a swivel pin kit.
    Check the stub axle distance piece for grooving from the hub seal. The distance piece can be replaced if scored.
    Disassemble the breather and make sure the ball bearing in it isn't rusty and the breather isn't plugged. Personally I'd convert to raised breathers if you're not going for a concours restoration.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

tom
    if you convert to the raised breathers, how would you route them? follow the brake line? thanks. josh

Thanks to all that replied. At least I have somewhere to start now. I had time today to start cleaning things up to see what I'm working with. I got the springs removed from the axle (leaves broken and very rusted) and took a bucket of dried grease off of the axle and around the back plates for the brakes. The swivel balls look good but there is a little bit of pitting which I expected since this Rover sat outside for over 10 years. So how much pitting is considered too much? I wasn't really looking at doing a swivel ball replacement at this point but if I have no other choice I will have to go ahead and do it. Also are the bolts used on the axles standard or Whitworth? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were Whitworth but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tater134 View Post
    So how much pitting is considered too much?
    If it causes the swivel oil seal to fail and subsequently leak, it's too much.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
    tom
    if you convert to the raised breathers, how would you route them? follow the brake line? thanks. josh
    Over to one side or the other then up to the bulkhead via a protected as possible path. I suppose you could follow the brake lines, but not required.
    Quote Originally Posted by tater134 View Post
    I wasn't really looking at doing a swivel ball replacement at this point but if I have no other choice I will have to go ahead and do it.
    Another option is repairing them with JB Weld and epoxy
    http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Drivetrain.SwivelBalls.html
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF