Thread: P38 Power steering conversion / fittings

Default P38 Power steering conversion / fittings

OK, so of all the possible places to post, this is probably the least relevant, but oh well. While I'm At It(tm) I'm adding power steering to my 67' NADA project. I've procured a p38a steering box and reservoir, fabricated and welded in a reinforcing bracket for the frame, and scraped most of the gunk off the PS pump from my 300tdi. Now, theoretically, I just need some hoses. I'd like to put AN adapters on everything, so I can make custom hoses to fit (and probably add a cooler inline somewhere). My little thread gauge thing seems to think it's 5/8 NPT on the high pressure side, but everything else on that engine is metric, so suddenly finding a fractional thread makes me v. suspicious. Does anybody know of the top of their head what the PS fitting sizes are for the 300tdi / p38a?
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

Metric o-ring like an air conditioner compressor. 16mm and 14mm as I recall. Pretty sure Jegs sells them.

Wow--That power steering cooler is a REAL "while I'm at it" (tm)!

Please tell me it's going to have it's own electric cooling fan and fresh air ductwork.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Don't go giving me ideas!

Well, thought I had this all sorted out, but not so fast. Anybody know what the spline is on the input for the p38 box? I was under the impression it was 3/4 48 spline, but my shiny new 3/4 48 spline u-joint is evidently too big...

3/4-48. Where'd you get the u-joint?

Borgeson. Measured and counted the joint, it certainly appears to be a 3/4-48. The box is in an awkward spot so I'm resisting doing the same on that end, but obviously that's what needs to happen.

So, it measures out at 0.688" and 54 splines. As far as I know 11/16-54 is not a thing anywhere, so assuming I was a little sloppy measuring, it must be 17mm-54. Given it's a ZF unit, that makes some sense. I'm guessing everybody else doing this must be using the stock Rover shaft, and it makes the transition for you to 3/4-48.