Thread: Steering wheel removal

Default Steering wheel removal

I have removed the bolt and nut at the base of the steering wheel hub, wedged the split apart a bit and tried (with little success) to attach a puller but the wheel ('60 Series 2 with four spoke wheel) hub will not budge from the shaft. I don't want to distort the composite material that the hub is made from by beating the bejezzis out of it. Am I missing something? I don't see that heat would help and might melt the hub.

Not sure about an older Series 2 with a spoked steering wheel, but mine (2a) has a female splined insert inside the base of the steering wheel, which easily slides onto (and off) the male splined top of the steering column. That allows the steering wheel orientation to be adjusted or "aligned" with the direction of the front wheels. And there's only one large bolt (inside the wheel, behind the horn button) holding my wheel onto the shaft. Maybe your steering wheel and steering column are frozen, or rusted together? And just maybe, just maybe, the PO used some sort of binding agent (not necessary, of course) to "glue" the wheel to the steering column? Believe me: when you're not the first owner of a Series Rover, expect the unexpected!

David
    Daily Driver:
    1971 Series 2a, 88, Soft-top, LHD

Correction:

It's a large (27mm?) HEX NUT holding the wheel onto the column. I get my nuts and bolts mixed up often. Good Luck!
    Daily Driver:
    1971 Series 2a, 88, Soft-top, LHD

I've read some good stories of people pulling and pulling until the wheel suddenly pops off - and they clock themselves in the face with it.

I think you will find being a bit forceful back/forth will jar it loose.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Just went through this. Tappy tappy tappy with a rubber mallet and changing which spoke I tappied on, and I mean tappy...not smashy. It suddenly just almost fell off like it was never stuck in the first place.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    I've read some good stories of people pulling and pulling until the wheel suddenly pops off - and they clock themselves in the face with it.

I think you will find being a bit forceful back/forth will jar it loose.

Yep, my nose didn't stop bleeding for hours....I saw stars. I did spray with a penetrator too.....took the center horn cap off too get it in. Then a matter of pulling and wobbling. And ducking.
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)