Thread: Here's one for the rivet counters...

thumb-up Here's one for the rivet counters...

Right, so I've got some replacement tub capping for my sIIa 88". It's at the galvanisers as we speak...

...but my question is what solid rivets do I use to re-attach the capping and rear light panels...?

As far as I can determine, the standard series LR uses round head solid rivets (as opposed to the more common universal head)... the official definition of these is AN430, I believe...

...so far so good...

But is the standard the A type rivets (i.e. AN430A) made of 1100 aluminium, or the AD (i.e. AN430AD) made of 2117-T4 aluminium?

The AN430AN rivets have a dimple in the head, but I can't see that on any of mine (but they are covered in several layers of paint).

Does it matter, and does anyone really care...?!??!!?

Cheers,
    Warren.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

Q: Do you need 38,000 PSI (tensile strength) heat treated aluminum rivets to hold the galvanized capping against the tub, or will the 16,000 PSI (tensile strength) pure aluminum rivets do?

A: The rivets with "only" 16,000 PSI will be more than adequate. Plus they're easier to install (though still not as easy to install as the blind rivets used on SIIIs).
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Ah, I see your point... well put! 1100 Aluminium it is...

Warren.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

And, with a bit more research, I've realised that the 2117-T4 aluminium is a slightly gold colour, whereas the 1100 aluminium is, well, aluminium coloured... so it would seem that the 1100 aluminium rivets are the clear winner...

...except that I've now discovered that you can get button head (AN435) rivets (as opposed to round AN430 rivets) too...

...sheesh!

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.