Thread: Brake master won't adjust?

Default Brake master won't adjust?

Put in a new brake master cylinder and now I can't seem to adjust the darn thing properly. Either the pushrod is too far in and the brakes are constantly engaged or it's too far out and I have to pump the brakes 15 times to get them to bite. Did I not bleed the system properly, or is there a sweet spot I just haven't found yet? Please help!

A 'barbie-convertible pink'
    1965 88" IIA

So much woe as I have with you
    þoled. --Chaucer

What you are experiencing can be caused by incorrect installation of the springs on the brake shoes. Was everything working fine before the master cylinder failed?
    '55 SI 86

Fine-ish. The brakes were at best spongey, which is what precipitated replacing the master.

I installed the brakes so that each end of the springs is hooked into one of the holes in the brake shoes. Is this incorrect?

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

That is incorrect and it will not work! The bottom springs do attach to holes in the shoes.

The top spring connects to a hole in the shoe (located on the on the same side as the brake adjuster) but the other end attaches to the post on the other side! Don't ask how I know this.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Well, hell. Guess I get to take the wheels off. Again. Thanks for the quick response.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer