Thread: Swivel pins

Default Swivel pins

I'm rebuilding my front axle (actually, installing a shiny new Heystee disc brake kit!).

Are there any hard rules about when to replace swivel pins & railko bushes? I've just opened up the right side so far, and the bottom steering arm and taper bearing seems OK, but the top pin and bush were quite rusted and pitted. It was a bugger getting it out of the housing, but if I slip the pin into the bush now with the housing off, it's quite loose and I can see a visible gap. The swivel balls themselves were replaced just a few years ago and look great, and I didn't notice any looseness or wobble in the assembly before I broke it down...

Also, I know ep90 is the recommended lube, but should I repack the roller bearings with high temp grease as I'm reassembling? Or just let the 90 weight get in there and do it's job?
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

If you are that deep into it, I would replace the bushings just for good measure regardless. If the pins are rusted and pitted then absolutely replace them, if not, I would not sweat them.

I packed all of the bearings with grease before putting everything back together and using 90W.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue