Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While I'm down there...

Default While I'm down there...

I've done a bit of a search on several forums, but I'm beginning to think my Google skills are subpar. I've go to replace the clutch on my '65 Series IIA 88," and I was wondering; what else should I tackle while I'm down there? My father-in-law suggested I also replace the throwout bearing, but can I do that without pulling the transmission? Should I try to address my screaming banshee overdrive? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a propshaft?

In all seriousness, I'd like to do one or two smaller things while I've got the truck apart. Suggestions?

A 'barbie-convertible pink'
    1965 88" IIA

So much woe as I have with you
    þoled. --Chaucer

Depending on condition, you may want to machine the face of your flywheel so that the new clutch doesn't have any juddering after you get it all back together. My theory has always been it's better to resurface the flywheel than wish you had after it's all buttoned up. I also agree with the suggestion of your father-in-law...

The throwout bearing requires all the steps required to remove the clutch plate, and it is not very expensive. Absolutely, replace it.
    Hannibal...... 1964 SIIA 88" NAS.....

Oscar,
    Regarding the screaming overdrive,check out the recent thread regarding overdrive noise as it was quite extensively addressed. Good to address any gearbox/clutch/Universal joint/overdrive issues while you have it out of the truck. You do have a copy of the "Green Bible" don't you? It, and this forum will guide you. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88

Quote Originally Posted by offshoretitan View Post
    Depending on condition, you may want to machine the face of your flywheel so that the new clutch doesn't have any juddering after you get it all back together. My theory has always been it's better to resurface the flywheel than wish you had after it's all buttoned up. I also agree with the suggestion of your father-in-law...
    I just looked into the process and it seems like a lot of local shops would be capable of doing this if I brought them the flywheel. Any idea what the turnaround would be like? I'm really hoping to fix the clutch in one weekend with my brother's help.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

If your IIA has the original transmission then you don't have a traditional style throw out bearing. In some way's it's much more robust. Usually, it doesn't need to be replaced. If it does, then you may have a larger tranny problem looming. It is a little more complex to replace but still pretty easy if you insist on doing it.

Second the refacing of the flywheel.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    t is a little more complex to replace but still pretty easy if you insist on doing it.

Second the refacing of the flywheel.
    I don't insist on doing anything, but if it's worth doing while I'm in there then I'll do it.

To your second point, I guess I'm getting the flywheel done.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
    I don't insist on doing anything, but if it's worth doing while I'm in there then I'll do it.
    Have a look at the difference between a pre SIII Rover clutch actuation system and every other "normal" clutch actuation system in the world before you make any decisions. They aren't the same, don't work the same, don't have the same parts and don't suffer from the same problems.

Do your homework first, is my recommendation.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

If you coordinate with the shop doing the machining of the flywheel, it's a service that you can literally wait in the lobby on. I can't remember but let's say 30 minutes to get it set up and run. Well worth doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post

To your second point, I guess I'm getting the flywheel done.
    OK then. Best of luck.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president